Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Help with accurately ID'ing Great Grandfathers Patches

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by bjcross42, Aug 1, 2013.

1. bjcross42

bjcross42 New Member

Hey,

I've stumbled across my great grandfathers patches, and I was looking for help checking to see if I have identified these patches accurately. Also, any extra information on them and how one would have received them in service would be incredibly helpful. Pictured here I believe I have:

-a Fourth United States Army patch
    -a Gen. HQ Reserve patch
    -a IV army corps patch
    -a Pacific Ocean Areas patch
    -meritorious Unit commendation patch

I know he served in the Phillippines, as I also have his Philippine Liberation Medal. Any help is greatly appreciated.

THANKS

Attached Files:

2. DocL

DocL Member

You have good IDs on them. The official name of the Pacific one is "U.S. Army forces Pacific Ocean Areas", and was approved on October 18, 1944. It is now used as the patch for US Army Pacific.

To get information on when he would have worn them, you need to get a copy of his DD214 from the military. That will show all his assignments, and relevant dates. You can get information on how to do this from the US Archives-- http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

Good luck.

formerjughead and bjcross42 like this.
  3. bjcross42

bjcross42 New Member

I think I currently have his DD214 from my family records, or at least something that is its equivalent. Thanks