Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Help with damaged doc from the archives

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Laurahertz87, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Laurahertz87

Laurahertz87 New Member

Hello everyone!

I have a WD AGO 53-55 from my Great Uncle that has water damage from the fire at the archives so its blurry. I need some help deciphering some of whats legible.

Under his decorations and citations I'm trying to understand his awards as well as the information in the last two lines as to how they were given. I can see he has Rhineland, Central Europe, and Air Offensive Europe listed but I can't make at his first destination either. I also can't make out the organization he was assigned to upon leaving the service. It looks like his ASR is listed at 120 not sure if that is correct.

I'm wanting to make a shadow box for him along with my grandfather.

Any help would be appreciated as I don't know where he was assigned AT ALL other than the 2nd Army Air Force. I know when he and my grandfather joined it was still the Army Air Corps.

I've attached two versions of the scan of the discharge paperwork with a little editing to try to make it easier to read along with a photo of my grandfather (Left) and great uncle (Right) at Dalhart.

Attached Files:

2. Takao

Takao Ace

The first would be the Europe-African-Middle East medal with 3 bronze campaign stars - the aforementioned Rhineland, Central Europe, and Air Offensive Europe.
    (15 ASR points)
    European–African–Middle Eastern Campaign Medal - Wikipedia

Second would be the American Defense Service Medal with one bronze campaign star - This would be for his foreign service clasp, which would be for that illegible first destination.
    (5 ASR points)
    American Defense Service Medal - Wikipedia

Good Conduct Medal
    (no ASR points)
    Good Conduct Medal (United States) - Wikipedia

Air Medal with 3 Oak Leaf Clusters (4 awards total)
    (20 ASR points)
    Air Medal - Wikipedia
    3rd Bomb Division was 8th Air Force...Not that it narrows it down much. The 3rd Bomb Division was composed of up to 15 Bomb Groups(60 Bomb Squadrons) + 1 HQ
    GO #16? HQ 3d Bomb Division/44
    GO 200 HQ 3d Bomb Division 44
    GO 257 HQ 3d Bomb Division 44
    GO 323 HQ 3d Bomb Division 44

And if I am reading this right...
    DFC(Distinguished Flying Cross) per GO 474 3d Bomb Division 44
    Distinguished Flying Cross (United States) - Wikipedia
    (5 ASR Points)
    I've talked with USAAF vets who had these given to them in lieu of promotions.

Add to that his total months served + months served overseas

Slipdigit, Buten42 and Laurahertz87 like this.
  3. Laurahertz87

Laurahertz87 New Member

Thank you very much for your help!