Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Help with identifying insignia!

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by StratasFan, Mar 18, 2014.

1. StratasFan

StratasFan New Member

The photo is of a young man who was a cook and stationed in Alaska during the Aleutian campaign. He had requested transfer to air crew active service and on 15 Apr 1943, he borrowed a flight jacket from a gunner and climbed into a B-24 on the runway, just before it took off on a bombing raid, so that he could get a feel of a mission. During that raid, that particular B-24 was shot down and all the crew died. I have been researching the crew, but didn't exactly know how to look into a cook.

Would he have been in the Quartermaster Corps? Also, can anyone id the insignia he is wearing? Those two shield-type pins . . .

Attached Files:

2. rlyoun3910

rlyoun3910 New Member

I know this is probably too late, but did anyone ever answer your question to the above posting? He's part of the 250th Coast Artillery Regiment. The AAF would not simply let this guy go aboard an air craft without probably being certified in several aspects to combat flight. One namely being a gunner, which he certainly could have done being in the Coastal Artillery. Secondly is aircraft survival training and orientation as a flight crewman. Just maybe there were exceptions and blind eyes turned as there are well documented instances of "stowaways" getting on board missions. So many aircraft going into harm's way. I can't quite find a reference to a wreck of a B24 crew at that time from 11th Air Force... see: http://www.pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/b-24/ --Ray

3. Takao

Takao Ace