Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

help with name plate on my K31 rifle

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Michael762, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Michael762

Michael762 New Member

I am trying to research the man who owned my Swiss 1943 k31 rifle, I just need a little help... her is what the tag reads

Cpl. Berthoud Marcel
    IVLM/EM BAT. FUS 24 1 23.328
    Bienne Tel.30748
    Rue De L'eau 27
    No.MQ 766xxx

thank you for the help

2. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Michael, you may already know this but the tag says Bienne, a town between Geneva and Zurich also known as Biel which is German and Geneva , the French district, putting it on the language border. It looks like a tag that accompanied the rifle while in possession of the Cpl when at home.. Swiss reserves keep their weapons at home when not on duty. You might locate him through the city of Bienne or also through the Swiss military. Swiss are very efficient record keeps and persistence on your part will probably pay off. One of our members, Mutley, can find white tern feathers in a snowstorm on the civilian side. She may have some pointers . The people of Biel/Bienne will speaK French and German

People here are good at finding records too but mostly through military channels. Someone will chime in.

This may take some effort and good luck.

Gaines

3. Michael762

Michael762 New Member

Thank you very much!!! I am hoping to make contact with him if possible, I think it would be really neat! I hope someone could help me out

4. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Start by looking in the Swiss yellow pages for his last name in the town listed on the tag. If it is a small town, you'll have a higher chance of connecting with a family member. His last name is common so that complicates things. Given the age of the rifle, sadly the odds are that the fellow has passed away.

I have a K31 with tag and made contact with the relatives of the original owner (he was first issued the rifle in 1945). He passed away in the 1980s, but I had a nice conversation with his wife and son (translated by his granddaughter) and recieved several photos of the gentleman. The Swiss are a very "gun friendly" culture, tending to be very receptive to outreach attempts. I have heard of several similar stories.