Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Herman Goring

Discussion in 'Leaders of World War 2' started by Gunter_Viezenz, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Gunter_Viezenz

Gunter_Viezenz New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Does any1 know what Goring was convicted of? I've ben trying for a while to find out but i couldnt find wut it was.

2. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    According to Wikipedia, Göring was "tried for war crimes and crimes against humanity at the Nuremberg Trials in 1945-1946 and sentenced to death". It gives no details of the charges.

3. Gunter_Viezenz

via TanksinWW2
    I have read thgat but that isnt very specific is it? Im not aware of anything he did wrong.

4. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Somewhere at home I have his biography - I'll try and dig it out & see what it says.

5. Gunter_Viezenz

via TanksinWW2
    ty i apreciate ur help :D

6. Castelot

Castelot New Member

via TanksinWW2
    There were 4 different points of acusation at Nuremberg, Göring was found guilty for all of them.

1.Conspiracy against peace.

As Göring was one of Germany's most important figures in the 30's, I do not think it was very difficult for the prosecutors to convict him of this.

2.Planing and undertaking of a war of agression.
    After the war started, Göring was Hitler's official sucessor, the second man in nazi hierarchy, and thus of course responsible for the actions of the Governement he was part of.

3.Crimes against Humanity.
    In the 30's, Göring, was chief of the german police.He created the Gestapo and also the first concentration camps.
    During the war, he was responsible for the economic exploitation of the conquered territories in the east, and thus responsible for hundreds of thousands people forced to work for the germaqns, many of which died.

Also, he was the highest figure in nazi hierarchy to authorize the final solution on paper.(In a letter to Heydrich)

4.Crimes against war conventions:

This probably has to do with the fact that Göring was the supreme commander of the Luftwaffe, which targeted civilians during the war.

7. Gunter_Viezenz

via TanksinWW2
    ty im greatful for the help.

On another note the Allies attacked civilians from the air themselves so they ain that innocent themselves.

8. Revere

Revere New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Goring was just a cook DIdnt he get shot in the Groin and became a morphine addict :D

9. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    IIRC he became a morphine addict after a particularly nasty crash-landing in Sweden during the 1920s. Getting shot in the groin in Munich got him hooked all over again.

Please forgive me if I'm wring - it is a long time since I read his biography. :oops:

10. Gunter_Viezenz

via TanksinWW2
    og in the groin ouch :oops: i thought he had been shot in the thight lol stupid me

11. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2

There is some truth in what you say. The charges were very vague.

12. Quillin

Quillin New Member

via TanksinWW2
    famous qoute of goring at neurenberg

"in twenty years, pigons all over germany will shit on my statues that will be placed everywere"
    lol, we are sixty years later, where are the statues??? those goverment workers are so slow :D

guessed he thought that he would be free after the trail and the Nazi's would still be in power

13. Gunter_Viezenz

via TanksinWW2
    im pretty sure u can chage george bush with conspiracy against peace liie goring was but he wouldnt be convicted :angry:

14. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Whatever view you wish to take you cannot compare Bush to Goering, that's just plain nonsense.

Goering instituted the Gestapo, the Concentration camps and was the 2nd in charge of a state that deliberately attempted to exterminate two entire races (The Jews and the Slavs) and succeeded in killing around 6,000,000 Jews and wiping out a large portion of the population of Poland and inflicting terrible conditions on the populations "liberated" from Soviet rule.

Even accepting the likes of Abu Ghraib (For which Bush received no actual blame), that is nothing compared to what Goering's Gestapo did and what was done in the Concentration camps.

Similarly whether you agree with it or not you cannot compare the invasion and occupation of Iraq (Which the US has never intended to make permanent) with the Nazi invasion of the east in order to create a "Reich that would last a thousand years" and the barbaric conditions the occupiers of Poland and the conquered east imposed on the civilian populace.

Goering as a very senior member of the Nazi party was tried and convicted for his part in instigating and prosecuting this war. Rightly so in my opinion.

15. Revere

Revere New Member

via TanksinWW2
    i think its the groin

16. Gunter_Viezenz

via TanksinWW2
    tht is not what i ment.

I ment that Goering really did not make such a conspiracy against peace if Bush had nto done so.

I have not compared Abu Grab with concentrations camps, who cannot reall amke such a comparison i agree. I was just stating that Goering did what he was ordered. He was a soldier. Goering had little choice. Bush really did not ahve any bussiness in Iraq.

Also as far I am aware of concentration camps were first built in the 1930's because the prisons were full, and althoe Goering created the Gestopa i do not think he was the leader of it. He also helped creat other paramilitar organizations for the Nazis.

I was simply talking about conspiracy against peace!

It was my opinoin of Goring having been sentenced to death. I'm sorry you interprted my post in not the way i intended it to. Next time ill try to clearify within the post.

And I know you cant really compare bush to goring.

17. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The thing is Goering was not merely a soldier following orders, he led the Gestapo until Himmler incorporated it into the SS, maybe the Concentration camps were set up because the Prisons were full but a lot of that was likely down to who the Nazis considered Criminals.

As Number 2 in the Nazi heirarchy he cannot be considered to be "just following orders", he was one of those issuing them.

18. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Basically it hinges on the one question of why Bush invaded Iraq...

And we are NOT going into that here - we have topics that are pages & pages long dealing with that.

But consider this.
    Did Bush invade Iraq because he wanted Lebensraum?
    Did Bush invade Iraq because the American economy was so poorly thought-out that it needed conquest to sustain it?

Or

Did Bush invade Iraq on a principle, however misinformed/misguided you may believe him to have been?

19. Castelot

Castelot New Member

via TanksinWW2
    It is a difficult question again.

For his defence, Göring argued that :

- Germany did not attack France/Britain, but France/Britain attacked them

- Germany's attack on Russia was just a preventive strike because otherwise Stalin would have attacked them

- Germany invaded Belgium, Netherlands, Norway(and others) out of military necessity.
    On the other hand the allies too were about to violate norwegian neutrality, and did invade neutral Persia in 1941.
    That's war....

Also back then there was no such formal outlawing war as after 1945.
    Basically his main mistake was to be on the loosing side....

Today, it's up to the UN security council to decide if a war is justified or not.
    You can of course not like that idea, but then there is no international law anymore....Everyone can do what he considers his good right.

20. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    What did he say about Czechoslovakia, Poland, Yugoslavia... ;)