Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"Hero Snatcher"?

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Kai-Petri, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Read in a book that one German General was so ruthless in purging supply depots and hospital areas in Germany for fit soldiers later in war that he was called "Hero Snatcher ". Anyone read or knows who this General could be?

2. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

General walther von Unruh

What I could gather is that at the time of Stalingrad, Hitler recognized the need to come up with more manpower and General Unruh was tasked to comb the rear areas for fit soldiers to fill the ranks. Best sources are in German and I used the translated version which sometimes comes up with interested translations.

Translated version of http://www.geocities.com/~orion47/WEHRMACHT/HEER/General2/UNRUH_WALTER.html

Translated version of http://www.geocities.com/~orion47/WEHRMACHT/HEER/General2/UNRUH_WALTER.html

This is interesting research. I would not want this boy's job. Also not that the term became synonomous to any person, mostly gendarmes, that went around performing the same tasks. But von Unruh was the General who led such programs.

3. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

I had never heard of him, I was thinking more of FM Ferdinand Schörner but you are right, of course. Schörner gained more fame at hanging stragglers and poor soldiers found separated from their units.

4. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

You know Za, Schorner was the one name that popped into my head as well. I would not put it past him to send out the 'chained dogs' out into the rear areas but with different results.

5. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

OK,

many thanx Ike!!!