Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Herr K ........ U-boot waffen

Discussion in 'Atlantic Naval Conflict' started by Erich, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Say, do you by chance have any book(s) covering the weapons systems of the U-boot arm ? Like the anti-aircraft guns..... ?
    I am aware of one book that covers the actions of U-boots against Allied a/c, and their success's, but do not have it in my library......yet.

thoughts ?

E

2. Herr Kaleun

Herr Kaleun Member

There are several technical books that detail the AA weapons as well as others.

David Miller's 'U-boat: The Illustrated History of the Raiders of the Deep' covers all the u-boat types and gives a good overview of the weapon systems. As does Robert Stern's 'Type VII U-boats.'

I have recently ordered the reprint of Eberhard Rössler's 'U-boat:The Evolution and Technical History of German Submarines.' From my understanding, this is a must have for any serious u-boat student. It hasn't been delivered yet. Maybe the USPS will be willing tomorrow. :D

Those are three should get you what info you need.

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Herr K, I should have been more specific. I am looking for a good book primarily on the AA units fitted to the U-boots.
    something like U-860 1 3.7cm forward, 1 3.7cm Platform 2, two twin 2cm
    U-490 1 3.7 forward, 1 3.7cm platform 2, two twin 2cm and 4 mg 15s
    U-875 1 3.7cm forward and 1 twin 3.7cm rearward.

a book that gives reference to the AA defences of the individual boats. Anyhting in print to your knowledge ?
    Yes, I have Eberhard R's excellent monster tome....quite good.

E

4. Herr Kaleun

Herr Kaleun Member

I'm not sure, but I don't think that there is any book out there like that. Or I should say none that I am aware of.

Hmmm.....I have a looksee about....

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Ugh, oh well, I thought it may have been too specific, but thought I would try nonetheless.

Will keep my eyes posted for the book I mentioned on the U-boot fla against Allied a/c. Could be quite interesting as there is not much exclusive of www.uboat.net

E