Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hi all!

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by NickHaldon, Apr 23, 2018.

1. NickHaldon

NickHaldon New Member

Hi guys. My names Nick Haldon, you can call me whatever you want. I'm flexible.
    I'm nearly 18 and have been interested in WW2 for a long time.
    I'm from the US, specifically the East Coast near DC.
    Right now I'm really trying to learn some more about the Korean War, specifically equipment. Seeing as how it seems 90% of equipment used was from WW2 I thought it might help to research what was used in WW2 and see what comes up.
    The most applicable hobby I partake in is video game modding. I'm currently working on a Korean War mod hence my interest in researching the Korean War.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the early post before I was done. I didn't realize enter would post it and not go to a new line. Sorry

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    rkline56, Otto and JJWilson like this.
  2. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the forums!

NickHaldon likes this.
  3. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Welcome!

4. Half Track

Half Track Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

5. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

Welcome Nick! I'm nearly 18 as well, and that's awesome you're paying attention to Korea, it doesn't get enough attention and respect as it should, it's a really unique and cool conflict to learn more about.

NickHaldon likes this.
  6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Welcome Nick. Glad to have you here. Your interest at 18 (like JJWilson) gives me good feelings about the youth of America.

JJWilson likes this.
  7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Australia was involved in the Korean war too...

[​IMG]
    3 RAR (Royal Australian Regiment)

JJWilson likes this.
  8. JJWilson

That is a massively tricked out M1 Carbine!

9. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Night scope too I think..!

JJWilson likes this.
  10. JJWilson

Have they done this with an Owen gun, or an L1A1? :D

11. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Probably not the Owen...and the "SLUR" SLR came a bit later...would have had a night scope version, but the scope itself probably wasn't as bulky...
    [​IMG]
    Maybe?

JJWilson likes this.
  12. RRA227

RRA227 Member

Welcome to the forum. Rich A. in Pa.

13. KevJStarr

KevJStarr New Member

Believe it or not a good majority of the weapons used in the Korean War Surplus from World War II especially Heavy Artillery type of weapons.

JJWilson likes this.
  14. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome Nick, welcome you our humble research portal.

Come to think of it, we do need some dedicated Korean War sections here. I've not seen as much as I would have like out there on the open internet. The Forgotten War indeed.

JJWilson likes this.
  15. rkline56

rkline56 USS Oklahoma City CG5

A great read on Korea is by David Halberstam-

"The Coldest Winter"

The Coldest Winter: America and the Korean War

A review from a confused soldier who served there:
    Confused about the war, I would like to shake his hand and buy him a beer for such a heartfelt review.
    To any of our members who served in Korea, Thank you and I'm sorry for any losses you may have endured.

The Best Book I Have Read on the Korean War
    [​IMG]

3236 days ago
    Ursus
    I am a veteran of the Korean conflict, and I find it painful to see that almost no one who was not in it remembers it. I wince when speakers at public gatherings routinely skip from World War II to Viet Nam in their otherwise dutiful acknowledgment of those who served in the nation's armed forces. It was my good fortune to be assigned to a job behind the lines, so I escaped the horrors of combat, but the war was still an experience that I have always felt a need to understand better than I did when I returned home after the armistice and resumed my education on the G.I. Bill. David Halberstam's authoritative book not only describes the course of the war in a way that sounds right to me, he suppplies the political, social and economic context that makes the conflict understandable. For example, I had never before focused on the connection between the demise of Josef Stalin and the end of the shooting war. I wish the author were still living so I could thank him for this fine book, which I consider nothing less than a precious gift to people like me.

My 2 cents.
    Mr Halberstam details many of the intell lapses that made the No Korean initial assault so successful.
    He studies in great depth.
    Keep us posted on the game mod.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    JJWilson likes this.
  16. JJWilson

It is such a shame that Korea is neglected and forgotten in today's day and age, plenty of amazing stories of heroism, loss, and sacrifice, on both sides of the conflict. Thank you rkline for your service, despite the fact that you didn't serve at the front doesn't take away from the fact you did serve your country, and answered the call of duty, for that you have my respect and adoration.

17. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

It was remembered in MASH...plenty of true historic information to come out of it...that show rated its backside off for years, including years of good rating repeats... I think because there was no conclusion, theres a difficult story to tell...So the story tellers have swayed away from making movies about it, which, lets face it are responsible for putting into the consciousness and keeping it there.

18. JJWilson

Is Korea remembered from MASH? Yes, but not in the way I think it should be remembered. MASH was made in the 70's with a heavy Anti-war, hippie vibe to it, neither of which are characteristic of Korea. MASH was made to entertain, it was a comedy, it's just like Hogan's Heroes, a show about WW2, but it was not an accurate or appropriate representation of WW2, that's just my opinion, but I feel like Korea should have been portrayed with more respect and seriousness..........okay I'm ready to take the heat.........

19. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Haha...no heat...ive watched the entire MASH series about three times over...and its not and has never been "just a comedy" - Although the Hawkeye character was a beautiful reprise of Groucho Marx...everything except the cigar! There were MANY scenes that showed the casualties, the never ending casualties...how exhausted the surgeons were, just to get up after 5 minutes kip to meet the choppers with more wounded and triage and then try to save their lives...Many references to failed peace conferences, people asking regularly why are we here? Looked into the physical AND mental toll the war took on people...
    I agree that it was a little leftie and "hippie" and a product of its time. But using the medium of comedy they were able to say MUCH more than many other shows might have been able to...
    BUT
    This is just ONE show, very popular yes but just one take, one angle on a huge show...(And the few Australians depicted were ALWAYS played by Poms - no wonder you mob think we are like them!)

JJWilson likes this.
  20. JJWilson

I appreciate your input on the show as well, I don't flat out dislike MASH, I just think a Band of Brothers esque tv series for Korea would be a massive breakthrough, and is what I would prefer to have been created.