Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hi from Peru

Discussion in 'What If - Pacific and CBI' started by ByronMcSutton, Jun 18, 2013.

1. ByronMcSutton

ByronMcSutton New Member

Hi, I'm writing from Peru. I'm posting an alt-history novel in which Peru turns fascist in the 1930s and ends up allying with Imperial Japan in 1941. I'm looking for some feedback.

Cheers!

2. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Why Japan and not Germany?

Welcome to the forum by the way....Hope you enjoy your time with us...

3. ByronMcSutton

ByronMcSutton New Member

Hey everyone, I'm posting and translating my alt-history novel featuring a fascist Peru that allies with Imperial Japan shortly before the Pearl Harbor attack, lending them bases for a strike on the Panama Canal. I'm looking for some feedback on any and all technical/political details I might be getting wrong.

http://www.kemados.com/empiresofthesundawn1.htm

Thanks!

4. belasar

belasar Court Jester Staff Member

Welcome aboard!

Good luck with your project. You could go Macro story and describe a "strategic" storyline or perhaps get greater inpact by making it a "personal story"

Either could work well.

5. ByronMcSutton

ByronMcSutton New Member

Oh hi, glad to get these responses. The link for the story is here: http://www.kemados.com/empiresofthesundawn1.htm

Anyhow, the historically existing fascist party mostly took after Italian fascism. It didn't join the party in 1939-1941 for a couple of reasons:
    a) Peru wouldn't have had anything specific to gain from it, plus it would be exposed to some degree of Allied retaliation.
    b ) Peru thought that it could continue doing its expansionist fascist thing without getting entangled in a wider war.

Why did it end up allying with Japan (despite its fierce anti-Japanese rhetoric)? Peru invaded Ecuador (historical-ish), the latter country collapsed, Peru took over, and set up puppet regimes. This triggered a US embargo of even more draconian levels than that imposed on Japan. Peru was to return all territorial gains from 1931 onwards or face economic starvation. In the meantime, Japan had been probing fascist Peru about it lending them airbases for a strike on the Canal, and with the latest developments, Peru felt compelled to join the party.

And thus, on December 7th, 1941, Japan struck not only Pearl Harbor, but also the Panama Canal, from Peruvian controlled Ecuadorian airbases.

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member Patron  

Since there seems to be some reply here, I'll move this thread to Alt History and merge it with the other.

7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

When you start talking the canal...your talking a massive strategic area, as im sure your aware...the weight of the US "and" UK would bare down on the Peruvians...Dont expect much (any) help from the Japanese, they had too many mini fronts already...
    Would Peru risk their sovereignty over such a ploy?

8. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Good posts though....an area I for one would not have even thought of looking at...Peru in ww2...Yet another eye opener...Good to have another view from one of the lesser countries at the time...and I don't mean that disparigangly...good to have you around...Stay with us. Interesting stuff.

9. ByronMcSutton

ByronMcSutton New Member

Everything you say is entirely true. Other than the planes used in the attack on the Canal, I don't foresee any massive Japanese aid in the short-term (unless, of course, the rest of the war changes course significantly). There simply aren't enough available resources nor logistics to get them to South America.

And as to whether fascist Peru would take that risk, it shouldn't. The 'rational' thing to do would be to indeed surrender its modest territorial gains since 1931, as per US demand. That would, however, most certainly mean the collapse of the fascist regime, so it lashes out in a most irrational way, a desperate gamble to remain in power and "for the fatherland".

CAC likes this.