Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hi, new member introduction

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Karen L Hall, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Karen L Hall

Karen L Hall New Member

Hello, my name's Karen and after lurking around for awhile, I decided to take the plunge and sign up. I am researching my father's service in WWII and have about 9,000 questions (give or take), and this looks like a great place for research and commiseration.

My dad was from Richwood, West Virginia but moved to Northeast Ohio in the early 50s. That's where I was born in 1965, and where I grew up and spent most of my life, until I moved to the North Carolina coast about 5 years ago.

I have always had an off-and-on interest in WWII and the time period in general. I used to ask my dad from time to time about the war, but he always kind of shrugged me off and said "Oh, I didn't do much, not much to tell." I sensed he didn't really want to talk about it, so out of respect for that, I never delved into it. He passed away in 2007. I recently ran across some things he had given me long ago - pictures and letters from the war, and his discharge papers - and it renewed my interest. I decided that enough time had passed, now I would like to do the research and learn what I can.

So far I know that my dad was in Service Co 701st Tank Battalion, and 5th Recon Co 5th Infantry Division, so that's where my research is focused for the moment. I'm trying to trace his whereabouts particularly from February 1945 to about June of 1945. I have requested records from the NPRC, but that of course will take awhile. Soon I will post more in the appropriate forums. This looks like a great site, and I look forward to learning and, hopefully eventually, having things to share, too.

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Welcome Aboard and good luck with your research. Feel free to ask questions, if we don't know the answers we usually know where to point you to find them! Sometimes! Occasionally! Maybe!

Karen L Hall likes this.
  3. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the forums!

4. Half Track

Half Track Well-Known Member

Welcome!

5. Karen L Hall

Karen L Hall New Member

Thank you all for the welcome.

6. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member