Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hi to everyone. I'm kinda new to fourms.

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by BLewis22, Aug 10, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Welcome to this fine forum Blewis, I see you have already met some of the finest rogues

2. BLewis22

BLewis22 Member

Hi Skipper, Thanks for the welcome. I'm excited to be here. I didn't get a chance to talk much about the war with my dad before he passed away. Hoping to learn more about his service here. Everyone here on the forum has already been so helpful..:)

3. BLewis22

BLewis22 Member

I just added my Avatar. This is my great grand son Giovanni (Gio). He is dressed as a Georgia boy, but actually has always lived in California. He has Williams Syndrom, which caused him to go blind a year ago, probably irreversable. He is so smart and sweet.

4. BLewis22

BLewis22 Member

I don't have many facts about my dad's service. I have his discharge papers, and a citation he received with his Bronze Star. I'm not sure what group he was with, but the citation says he was advancing with elements of Co G. "near ***Luxembourg on 25 January, 1945...a Battery B assistant radio operator of an artillery forward observer party...Company G, ***Infantry, to engage in the hazardous night crossing of the ***River." I believe I read on another document something about the Clerf River, but have not found anything in the history documentation about that river. On his discharge papers it has Company F, 101st Infantry. I'm not sure about all these "group" names. I believe I have seen Infantry used with other names with it. I am so ignorant of all these millitary terms. Does anyone know how I can better educate myself on this? Thanks in advance for all your help and advise.

5. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Howdy Brenda and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you with us. Good way to educate yourself is just what you have done.....ask questions. The Rogues here will respond with direct answers or links for you to look up....as an example: Army unit definitions

The basic building block of all Army organizations is the individual soldier. A small group of soldiers organized to maneuver and fire is called a squad. As elements of the Army's organizational structure become larger units, they contain more and more subordinate elements from combat arms, combat support and combat service support units.

A company is typically the smallest Army element to be given a designation and affiliation with higher headquarters at battalion and brigade level. This alphanumeric and branch designation causes an "element" to become a "unit."

Squad - 9 to 10 soldiers. Typically commanded by a sergeant or staff sergeant, a squad or section is the smallest element in the Army structure, and its size is dependent on its function.

Platoon - 16 to 44 soldiers. A platoon is led by a lieutenant with an NCO as second in command, and consists of two to four squads or sections.

Company - 62 to 190 soldiers. Three to five platoons form a company, which is commanded by a captain with a first sergeant as the commander's principle NCO assistant. An artillery unit of equivalent size is called a battery, and a comparable armored or air cavalry unit is called a troop.

Battalion - 300 to 1,000 soldiers. Four to six companies make up a battalion, which is normally commanded by a lieutenant colonel with a command sergeant major as principle NCO assistant. A battalion is capable of independent operations of limited duration and scope. An armored or air cavalry unit of equivalent size is called a squadron.

Brigade - 3,000 to 5,000 solders. A brigade headquarters commands the tactical operation of two to five organic or attached combat battalions. Normally commanded by a colonel with a command sergeant major as senior NCO, brigades are employed on independent or semi-independent operations. Armored cavalry, ranger and special forces units this size are categorized as regiments or groups.

Division - 10,000 to 15,000 soldiers. Usually consisting of three brigade-sized elements and commanded by a major general, divisions are numbered and assigned missions based on their structures. The division performs major tactical operations for the corps and can conduct sustained battles and engagements.

Corps - 20,000 to 45,000 soldiers. Two to five divisions constitute a corps, which is typically commanded by a lieutenant general. As the deployable level of command required to synchronize and sustain combat operations, the corps provides the framework for multi-national operations.

Army - 50,000 + soliders. Typically commanded by a lieutenant general or higher, an army combines two or more corps. A theater army is the ranking Army component in a unified command, and it has operational and support responsibilities that are assigned by the theater commander in chief. The commander in chief and theater army commander may order formation of a field army to direct operations of assigned corps and divisions. An army group plans and directs campaigns in a theater, and is composed of two or more field armies under a designated commander. Army groups have not been employed by the Army since World War II.

With the link to the source: Army Chain of Command (Organization)

6. BLewis22

BLewis22 Member

Hi PgJgr, Thanks a million. I really appreaciate the warm welcome, and all the help everyone is giving me. Such nice people. I am really happy to be here.