Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hitlers Stalingrad Speech

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe' started by Christopher67, May 25, 2020.

1. Christopher67

Christopher67 Member

Can the forum provide a recording with translation of the after dinner speech delivered by Adolf Hitler around the time of operation "Hubertus", the last German offensive at Stalingrad before operation "Uranus" encircled them?

I believe this was the only example of a radio speech that Hitler had broadcast in all of WW2 that actually referred to the conduct and progress of a battle that was still going on, and it was, (I think) one of the last speeches ever made public and broadcast while it was being made.

In this speech, Hitler claimed, in words to that effect..."You know we really have got it, there are a few minor pockets to overcome, but we really have...."
    What was amazing about Hubertus was that it came awfully close to doing exactly that, with Chuikovs forces pushed back to a few pockets right on the Volga itself, but with the Sixth Army totally exhausted by the effort and demoralization setting in, with soldiers referring to the battle as "Verdun on the Volga".
    "Hubertus" was launched in early November wasn't it?

Chris.

P.S. Someone must know. It would be a nice thing to post. Please help!

2. Class of '42

Class of '42 Active Member

The Hitler Stalingrad speech was an address made by Adolf Hitler to senior members of the Nazi Party on November 8, 1942. The speech took place at the Löwenbräukeller in Stiglmaierplatz in Munich on the anniversary of the Beer Hall Putsch in 1923.

I can't find the full radio broadcast recording of it but here is the full script and a short clip from the 1993 Stalingrad movie about it...the speech was actually pretty long and drawn out..I am sure soldiers of 6th Army simply shook their heads while listening to that propaganda, while fighting and dying for every inch of the city.

Adolf Hitler's Stalingrad Speech - Wikisource, the free online library

James Stewart likes this.
  3. James Stewart

James Stewart Active Member

Hitler's main aim in 1942 was the oil, 42 in now best remembered for the disaster which was Stalingrad. A complete and utter failure, the Generals and Hitler seemed not to have learned that the distances involved just swallowed them up.