Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hog islanders in WWII

Discussion in 'Modelling' started by Prospero Quevedo, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Well-Known Member

I'm working on a hog islander A and B hull. I want to do an A type as armed in WWII. I have the hog islander book, but on has photos from the beam or angle but no overhead or drawings of the gunnery layout. Is there a source for seeing the gun platforms and placement. Thanks for your time

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

3. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

..from the article, sounds like a massive manufacturing place ...wow
    '''made it difficult for submarines to tell which direction the ships were going.''''
    never saw that before...interesting

4. Prospero Quevedo

It was an amazing build in my book s picture of ten slips everyone with a ship in various stages of construction. Wonder if that shipyard was still working during WWII. Still looking for info on the C hull. None built at hog island but thinking at other yards. They were to be submarine tenders.

5. Prospero Quevedo

Watched some independent star trek videos on YouTube. Some are pretty good. Prelude to Axanar is great first of five part series. Cost 100k to make, while raising donations for the second goal 100 k one of the actors donated 100k and challenge the fans to match they made a million bought a sound stage there's actually bunches around vanuys and Burbank. Did some work at one a bunch of cars were parked inside the gate and covered so we took a peek Detroit metro police department from RoboCop. Anyway Axanar got working on part two and hit by law suit from CBS and paramount. Claiming that they were infringement. But there's precedence for the film makers but CBS and paramount wanted independent films to be limited to half hour total. So if you have multiple parts the total running time together could not exceed half an hour. No professional studio technician's or professional actors. Many actors and techs were star trek fans who donated their time. The compromise seems ridiculous and not sure it's legal seem a lot of independents are still going forward with projects and actors still donating time and money. Axanar looking good combat scenes, the first constitution class cruisers being rushed to enter the four years war. Check it out you tube free streaming

6. Carronade

Carronade Ace

Perhaps on the first look through the periscope, but they seem to have figured it out; the article also notes that "Fifty-eight, nearly half, of the [122] Hog Islanders were sunk during World War II." That seems an unusually high mortality rate, in excess of the average for the US merchant marine.

bronk7 likes this.
  7. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

good call....thanks

8. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The DANFS entries for ships include the company that built them. You can look up Subtenders there.

9. Prospero Quevedo

I read a number of hogs were scuttled to form break waters at Normandy because the were so old and expendable, got some info from a forum on aero scales that I never saw, bum might have to make some major changes on my B hull design 1024 my A hull loos good 1022