Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

HOI II Doomsday

Discussion in 'Hearts of Iron' started by Mussolini, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Anyone have Hearts of Iron II - Doomsday? I've been looking for a low key game (Germany + Italy/Nationalist Spain/Japan) of just two or three people to play as the Axis. A mate of mine has the game, but for some reason his version is different then mine (mine is REBB but his is SVCP or something odd). Let me know if anyone would be interested.

2. JTF-2

JTF-2 Member

My fav game !!!!!!!!!!!

I sad to say that I play it every day (night) as soon as my kids go to bed. I would be interested, but I do not have a DSL hook up so I can not play. But the rumor is that high speed is on the way for my area, So I"ll be game then!!!

As for your version problem. Did both of you update to 1.3a? It is the latest patch, which correct some flaws.

3. JTF-2

JTF-2 Member

Sorry..but I just have to tell someone!! In my current game of HOI II DD, I selected Germany. I decided to play it really tough and set the dificulty to super aggressive!!!.

Knowing this was going to be a bit out of my league (as I"m not that good yet) I really hunkered down and created a grand strategy. I really focused on production of infrantry, and to maintain a advanced army.

So...I crushed Poland, with ease, and then raced all my divisions to the West again for the battle vs my french buddies. I wasn't sure until the last second if I was going "historical or ahistorical". But before that, I blasted up North to take out Denmark and Norway. Took me awhile to get Norway as those pesky allies were quicker than me in getting there. And I had made a minor strategic mistake in not creating any MT divisions.

Now back to my main objective and the fall of France, mooohaaaaaa!!!
    Before starting my assault I checked out some intellegiance and I noticed that France was bulding up there tank numbers very fast, which scared me a bit. (we all know that France had the advantage in numbers in regards to tanks) but It was a lot more than I thought. I tribute this to the aggressive AI I set up.
    Well I decided on the large fainte through Netherlands to draw up the allies into Beligum (historical). But it didn't work lol. They just stayed there, so as I made great advance into Netherlands and northern Beligum I really wasn't full filling my objective. So not being able to cut them off, I started my armour thrust through the Ardennes. My buddy Rommel made it to the french Coast with ease. Then it was down to Parris we went. Other than some pesky pockets in Metz...all went well. The Metz pocked did create some concern to me as..they could of broke out from there and cut off my armour. So I had to hold a large number of forces there to watch my flank. Once France fell...I was back to jumping on the trains to send my forces East again.
    Now I had to refit and re-organize for the battle of all battles (in Doomsday that is). Mother Russia!!!
    To be honest, I wasn't that confident in my talent vs Russia. In my history vs them it was always a struggle at normal AI..let alone aggressive!!

For Operation Barbarossa I concentraded 98% of my armour (most of them are the PzKpfw IV) to the South with the main goal of capturing Kiev. And most of the infrantry North with the odd Mech Panzergrenadier Division up there. I decided to fight a static doctirine. I would only a probing attack where I thought I could gain some ground with ease. While in the South I planned for an armour breakout. Both plans failed badly!! I wasn getting pushed back in the North (mind you I wasn't comitting all my troops to the defencive as I had many divisions in reserve). And in the south while I had early sucess in pushing them back I was no where near having a breakout, and my tanks were pushed to the max. So I had a very tough decision to make in the south. Do I pause to refit and organize for a final push, or do I keep on going hoping to achive my breakout?
    I decided to pause in the south and increase my offensive efforts in the North. Once again I made some advance in the North but then got stuck. Both Armies had tons of divisions facing each other, and I started to fear that it was going to be a WW1 style grudge match in the north. Every time I would try to breakout (in the North) I would get pushed back by counter attacks.
    I wasn't sure what to do next. I've tried everything..and still no breakout anywhere!!.
    So I did, something I said I wouldn't do. I ceased all offensive operations and started to bomb the living crap out of them!!! I've had a decent airforce all along but I wasn't focusing a lot on it. So I let my tacticle air force do the job. As I was re-orginizing my front I noticed a weak spot just south of Kiev.

So I sent 6 Divisons of Panzer to exploit this mistake. And it worked. It was now a race in open land. Here is where i circle Kiev and race to stalingrad where I see they only have 1 divsion. So I take stalingrad easly (woot). This in turns makes russia send help from the north which lightnes the load for my troops sitting there. That gives me a chance to start a push to Moscow, I reach the outskirts of Moscow....discover they only have 2 divisions there!!! But my leading forces are so weak and not to full strenght I doubt that I can take it. But I try again, as it's just to tempting to pass down. I doesn't work as I get pushed back. And then I watch as the Russians try to cut off my elements that were trying to capture Moscow. I stabilize my flanks and all is well. I not happy that I couldn't get Moscow..as now they have about 15 divisions there!!
    That is where I stand now. I just had to post this, as this was the most thrilling fight I have ever had. With all the setbacks I almost quit a couple of times, as I was getting discouraged. But I stuck at it. And all though there is intense fighting on the outsides of Moscow....and near Sevestpool (sp?) I have a major break in the front and I'm trying to push north from stalingrad. I belive it is fall of '42.
    There you have it...just excited to have came this far..

I hope to continue the fight tonight.

4. Mussolini

I'm playing as Italy in mine but have not touched it in a while. Playing on Normal or Weak i think (trying to get back into the game) and some interesting things have happened.

- I joined in the Spanish Civil War and grabbed some lands for Italia. In retrospect, i wish i had taken one near Gibraltar since its impossible to launch a seaborne offensive against it and its the only way the Allies are getting ships into the Med (see below).

- Spanish territory helped me out against the Frenchies. Was able to take southern France that way as it was relatively undefended.

-Also took all of North Africa, the Suez, Iraq, etc. Even some of those other nations - Yemen etc - just because they were helping out the Brits. :)

-Currently marching down into South Africa, though my troops are tired and my Navy has been decimated. Building some Naval Units + Aircraft carrier while trying to concentrate on controlling Suez Area.

-Pesky Brits keep landing small numbers of troops into the Med which are quickly dealt with. Nationalist Spain wont give me Military Access despite +200 Relations. Looks like it'll have to be an airborne operation :(

-I control all of Vichy France territory, and have troops inside its borders. I made the mistake of granting Vichy France its independence and lost all troops in their territories. Not sure where they went or if they turned Vichy, so i quiet. Hopefully i have a save-game from shortly before hand.

-I created some African Country (just for fun) and they have created a few militia units to help in my conquest of Africa.

--
    - The Germans did not attack France or Netherlands/Belgium until 1940. They were all at war, just no conflict. The Germans did move down through Austria and through my territories though and basically acted as defenders as i slowly ate up the French. It wasnt until later that the Germans went on the Offensive. It looked like a hot knife cutting through butter. I would have suffered less if they had done that earlier.

-Germany and some Balkan Allies all went to war vs. Yugoslavia. I didnt have any troops (2 in Albania) so just sat by. War went fast, i gaiend territories i had claims on (thank you Germany) and the Czechs i think gained independance. Currently, as i march on South Africa and take over Madagascar, war with Mother Russia has started. Should be interesting endto the war..

5. JTF-2

JTF-2 Member

-Pesky Brits keep landing small numbers of troops into the Med which are quickly dealt with. Nationalist Spain wont give me Military Access despite +200 Relations. Looks like it'll have to be an airborne operation

Where are they landing?

I'm trying to picture what's going on..and I'm a bit confused.

Are you allies with those crazy germans?

You have all of southern france???

Is there a reason why your focusing on Afirica?

6. JTF-2

JTF-2 Member

oh..yeah..you granting indepandence to Vichy..means that you didn't lose your troops you had there, they should be "redeploying" to your capital. (I think anyway).

Looks like you have full control in the Med. Which is good. What are you doing with Malta?

7. Mussolini

Forgot to mention that i took Malta. Bombed it off and on for two years, but first assault failed. Second one worked.

The Brits are able to move into Med from Atlantic since they control Gibraltar. Only way to attack Gibraltar is via land, but Nationalist Spain control those areas so i can't do anything against them short of going to war with them (which wouldn't be good.

I dont have a large army, so most of it is in Africa going against the Brits/French/NZ stationed there. I'll check out that about my troops returning to my Capital.

Europe is safe as the Germans are all along the Western Wall. I plan on rebuilding my Navy (expensive and time consuming) since a few unfortunate things happened (my attention was elsewhere when navy had some mishaps) but my airforce has gained lots of experiance.

Also developing tech as fast as i can to even have a chance against the Russians and stay equal with Brits.

Also thinking about freeing certain countries to act as buffers between me and enemies (Ghana or something, i previously mentioned, has sent me a few militia units so far).

I realize that going after India will cripple the Brits and help the Japs (speaking of which, i need to check out what they're doing) and will provide another oppurtunity to attack russia.

8. Repulse

Repulse Member

ah i have this game but armageddon add on ive played as the soviet union and takin over estonia and latvia im currently building the stalin wall to keep the germans out of the motherland

9. Iroh

Iroh Member

Wow HoI2 Doomsday thread it's my favorite and i play it with the mod that can increase the difficulty and more intresting and ohh.. the Graphic mod it can turn the old leader, tech picture, unit picture in to the colorfull picture try it.