Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Holland and their mayors in WWII

Discussion in 'History of Holland and Belgium during World War I' started by viggo, Apr 25, 2017.

?

Have you ever been in the Netherlands?

1. Yes and it was great

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No and I don't want to

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, but I want to

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. viggo

viggo New Member

MichaelBully and lwd like this.
  2. O.M.A.

O.M.A. Active Member

So many authors here. Congrats on the book viggo.

viggo likes this.
  3. viggo

viggo New Member

Haha. Thanks for the reply. I hope you like it.

4. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Viggo, I just finished your book on the 7 mayors, truly enthralling. Wonderful insight into the courageous things ordinary people do when the time comes to act. Any remotely well informed person knows about the sheer horrors of the Holocaust but these men, essentially being civilly disobedient out of their high sense of honor paid for it with starvation, deprivation and for 6 of the 7, their lives . They were treated as badly as Russian, Polish and Slavic .prisoners and POW's. There mortality rate must be close to the unfortunate Jews who feel under Nazis broad net. I know I would not have had their courage but then they did not clearly understand the exact consequences of what would happen if they refused if I understand correctly./ The Dutch Government in exile certainly appear rather obstinate even if highly principled in their lack of aid of Dutch citizens in the hands of the Germans , especially if one looks at the efforts of the French, Belgium, Norwegians and Danes. What would have happened if the mayors sent the requested men, or thir names to the Germans. Would they have worked on the fortifications and then be allowed to return home or might they be conscripted into the German Army ? Six of the mayors gave their lives for their high principles and deprived their families of a father in the rough post war era.

I have not yet reached a conclusion about all of this and glad I never had to. I am going to ponder this, reread the book and see if I have a better understanding .. It is a rare book that compels me to think as much and question what I would have done.

You work certainly adds to my knowledge of human behavior. I feel very fortunate to have visited The Netherlands over a long period of time and have several great email friends there. as fine a country as I have seen and I can see their sense of honor and genuine hospitality in the people you describe. Yes, I will definitely read it again and thank you for writing this book.

MFG,
    Gaines

viggo and lwd like this.
  5. viggo

viggo New Member

Hi Gaines,

Thanks for your reply. Good to hear you have finished the book. You are the first one who is ready reading my book and replied to me (by posting a comment on this forum.) I really appreciate. I would really appreciate if you give me a review on Amazon. So more people can get in touch with my ebook.
    Once again: Thanks a lot for reading my ebook. I really appreciate.

Kind regards
    (in dutch: groetjes)
    Viggo.

6. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Indeed, will do amazon ASAP. I think people would actually benefit from reading it as it broadens one knowledge about human behavior..

Believe it or not but my grandfather signed:
    "I am and remain your obedient servant. " I can see a mayor in Brabant in 1940 saying that and meaning it.!! !

With kind regards,
    Gaines

viggo likes this.
  7. viggo

viggo New Member

Hello Gaines,

Good to hear you will do the Amazon review ASAP. I really appreciate.
    Interesting your grandfather signed.

Viggo.

8. MichaelBully

MichaelBully Active Member

Good evening Viggo, I have just got hold of your book from Amazon UK and am looking forward to reading it. Have a great interest in The Netherlands and Flemish speaking Belgium in any case. Would be pleased it to review it . Wishing you success.

viggo likes this.
  9. viggo

viggo New Member

Hi Michael Bully,
    Great to hear. I hope you like the ebook.
    Viggo.

10. MichaelBully

I have been reading 'Of Decency and Death' : Most impressed -a real achievement. It's good to know that courage of the Dutch mayors who refused to co-operate with the German occupiers is being recognised via this book.

I had no idea about the failure of the Dutch government in exile to send red cross parcels to Dutch inmates of concentration camp, which meant that their predicament was even worse than that of prisoners from other countries.

Will post more once I have finished reading the book.

Regards

viggo likes this.
  11. viggo

viggo New Member

Hi Michael Bully,

Thanks for the review for the ebook so far. I hope you enjoy the ebook. I would appreciate if you give me a review when you are finished reading the ebook. Once more: Thanks for reading my book.
    Viggo.

Hi Gaines,
    Thanks for the amazon review. :)
    I am very grateful to you for that.
    Viggo.

12. MichaelBully