Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Holster question

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by desperado, Oct 22, 2008.

1. desperado

desperado Member

Is there any other german pistols that use the same type of wooden holster/stock as the C96 Mauser. I picked one (wooden holster) up at a yard sale but it dosen't look exactly like any I have found on line for the C96. The hinge were the holster opens is much better constructed then what I've seen. Were the C96,s looks like a door hinge, this one is much bigger. The attachment were the stock would fit the pistol is just slightly diffrent as well. The C96 pictures I've seen show a rounded oblong mounting plate but the one I found is pointed. I am sorry I don't have any pictures to post yet so i hope I am describing it ok. The holster/stock that I have looks exactly like the ones for the C96 except for those diffrences. There is stamped letters on the holster as well, they are S.A.1TD then below that 1944. There are no serial numbers that i can find. Any help would be great

2. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Just a WAG here, but Lugers were made with a wooden butt-stock holster, but they were commercial models to the best of my knowledge, not military. Read this on the site listed, and compare the photo with the wooden holster you picked up. Maybe that is way to approach this short of trying to fit a C-96 into the holster you have!

Commercial models were manufactured with barrels ranging from 98 mm up to 350 mm (14 in), some in 'carbine' versions, with additional forward handguard and detachable buttstock.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg67-e.htm

3. desperado

desperado Member

Actually solved the question today. I took it to an old friend of mine who is a military buff and has a special intrest in the Browning 9mm auto. Wouldn't you know it, it's for a Browning, actually a Inglis/Browning. The stock is part of a set that included an Inglis Mk.1 9mm. These were made by Inglis under license from Browning for the Canadian military and for export to China. The stock is almost a direct copy of the one used with the C96 Mauser. Mine is dated 1944 which is the first production year. Info says 151,816 were produced but not how many were for Canada. We only found one one line for sale and the is a complete gun/stock set for $2275.00. My friend was a competion shooter with the Browning when he was with the military and he said his regiment had one on diplay but that was the only one he'd ever seen. Not very common. I'll try to get some pic,s up this weekend.

4. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Interesting indeed. I used to have a Browning Hi-Power in 9mm that I enjoyed to no end. Unfortunately it and the Biannci shoulder holster I had for it (along with two spare mags) were stolen back in the late eighties. Ah well c'est la vie.

5. desperado

desperado Member

I am heading to my local military base in a couple of weeks to do some more research. Base Borden has a pretty good musium and I am told now has a gun room with an extensive collection. It is amazing what you come across when your not looking. Somewhere in my area is an old surplus Sherman. One of the old boys I biked with told me when he was a youngster his buddies dad had this old tank minus the turret that they used to ride around the farm in. I have managed to confirm this was a true story but he couldn't remember exactly were the farm was and my biking buddy passed away a few years back. There are all kinds of old Bren gun carriers up in northern Ontario that I have come across on fishing trips, just left in the woods were they broke down. I guess they were cheap after the war and sportsmen bought them for what ever purpose. So much history lost or just waiting to be found.

6. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Back in the late forties a farmer south of my Dad's place here in Montana had purchased a couple of turretless M4s, and tried to use them like "crawlers" on his farm. They couldn't take the daily work load and quickly broke down. They are long gone, he sold them for scrap. I used to get a kick out of scrambling around on them when I was a kid. His main place was on the way to our favorite fishing spot on the Marias River downsteam from Tiber Dam.

7. cuebird

cuebird recruit

I have some information for you, please shot me a pm.