Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Home wanted for Labuan memorabilia

Discussion in 'Land Warfare in the Pacific' started by mervegoddard, Jan 15, 2014.

1. mervegoddard

mervegoddard New Member

My brother, who is an avid collector of interesting artefacts, has recently acquired a fascinating piece of WW" memorabilia that he would love to find a good home for in some suitable museum or similar organisation.

the object in question is a hand painted sheet of fabric (linen?) measuring some 130cm x 220cm that seems to commemorate the departure of someone called "Babs" - possibly a nurse attached to the Australian Army - from the island of Labuan in 1946

It is obviously by an amateur hand and contains references to "Labuan Sappers" and is illustrated with a number of "Chad" figures complete with their usual "wot no.." epithets as well as palm trees, a plane and what appears to be a Russian Red Cross ship.

If anyone can help shed light on this object or suggest where it might be found a home I would be most grateful. I attach a low res photo but would be happy to provide a better one if that might help

Many Thanks

Attached Files:

2. green slime

green slime Member

I'd definitely look at http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/

It has the finest collection of Pacific Island and New Zealand history on the planet. It is simply astounding.

3. mervegoddard

mervegoddard New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I will certainly try this route.