Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

how do you make rubble?

Discussion in 'Modelling' started by 5-0-duce, Apr 23, 2004.

1. 5-0-duce

5-0-duce Member

how do you make bloody rubble? concrete, and bricks, anything and everything!? D: please help!

2. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

To do it right first buy a brick wall kit like the one Tamiya sells (or other source of cobblestones, brick or, whatever you want). Glue all of it together. Then, using either latex rubber and drywall reinforcement fiberglass mesh or, silicone rubber (more expensive) make a two part mold of the wall you have. Please note, mold making of this sort is a whole book in itself. I would suggest hitting up your local Dow Corning or GE silicone wholesaler for a copy of their mold making pamplets. If you can't just saunter in and ask claiming you are with so-and-so corporation tell them you are a college student needing that info. They usually will be willing given you are a potential future customer.
    Next, using plaster of paris mold yourself alot of wall.
    Paint the brick. Now, using a sharp utility knife score the wall between the bricks on both sides. If it breaks, oh well no loss there, after all we are making rubble.
    Now gently smash up the wall using a light rubber mallet. Result: lots of smashed scale bricks mostly painted. You can then touch up the remaining exposed areas as necessary (remember mortar is grey so you need to paint that as well as required).
    If you need a heap of rubble start by building up the mound with something else like paper mache or drywall compound or spackle. Before it dries, add a layer of brick on top covering it up to look like the whole mound is rubble.
    There you go.
    By the by, your mold is also now good for producing an unlimited supply of cobblestone streets, brick walls for buildings (you can saw out windows and doors as necessary), etc.
    Good luck.

3. 5-0-duce

5-0-duce Member

thanks alot you dont know how much youve helped me, when i finish my diorama ill try and post pics up in here, ive made couple molds and have rubble now just gotta do a lot of painting, and A LOT of work on the diorama yet D: i figure ill be done in .... about a month, maybe more maybe less... depends how bad i want to finish it ! thanks again

[ 25. April 2004, 01:44 AM: Message edited by: 5-0-duce ]

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

For rubble, I used to take an old brick and a hammer and smash until I got the desired =results. Makes great "mud" on tanks too.

AS for bricks, you and also take "brick dust" and make your own bricks--I did that once for a War with Mexico diorama I made about 20 years ago.

5. 5-0-duce

5-0-duce Member

hmmm, thanks for the tips [​IMG]

6. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron Ace

I use the sprue from old kits cut to brick size with a pair of modelling clippers. Then stuck with lots of pva and sand. Cheap, simple and looks good!!!