Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

How does this happen?

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by USMCPrice, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Takao

Takao Ace

The Russians have been at this for a few years with the Klub-K, whose launcher is designed to fit within a shipping container.

Remember...These are the exact same Russians that have been crying about how the THAAD missile system uses the same missile container as a Tomahawk cruise missile.

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I don't get it sorry...whats the problem with that?
    How hard would it be to FILL a container ship with anti air missiles and cruise missiles and anti missile missiles and goalkeepers? Crew of say 20...retrofit or purpose built...how easy? Very.

3. rkline56

rkline56 USS Oklahoma City CG5

Indeed. Looks like the freighter was making very perilous turns in such a high traffic lane.

There are bridge wing lookouts (port/starboard) with big eye binoculars, A navigator, Officer of the Deck and Conning Officer on the bridge with the helmsman, EOT operator, messenger, and the watch boatswain an E4-E5. And of course the full complement of electronic operators in CIC. Somethings fishy.

4. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Or a $0.59 part went FUBAR.

5. OpanaPointer

I visited a CIC once upon a time. The plot table had a homemade cover. It showed the ship cut in half and another ship sailing away, seen from dead astern. The caption on the cover said "Target has passed point of closest approach and is heading away."

6. Takao

Takao Ace

Only after the collision apparently took place.

The only thing "fishy", is the Conspiracy Theorists' logic in trying to justify their view...

For instance...
    "There are bridge wing lookouts (port/starboard) with big eye binoculars, A navigator, Officer of the Deck and Conning Officer on the bridge with the helmsman, EOT operator, messenger, and the watch boatswain an E4-E5. And of course the full complement of electronic operators in CIC."
    Now, double this...Double lookouts, double big eye binoculars, double the navigator, OOD, deck officer, conning officer, helmsman, EOT operator, messenger, watch boatswain, and the full compliment of electronics crew in CIC...
    And Navy ships still collide with each other.
    Some highlights...
    BBs Washignton & Indiana in 1944
    carrier Wasp & destroyer Hobson in 1952
    carrier HMAS Melbourne & destroyer USS Franks in 1969
    carrier John F. Kennedy & cruiser Belknap in 1975
    repair ship Jason & oiler Willamette in 1986
    LPD Denver & oiler Yukon in 2000
    stores ships Amelia Earhart & Walter S. Diehl in 2014.
    So...With the Conspiracy Theorist's "safety blanket" doubled...collisions still occur.

7. rkline56

I hope you don't think I was pushing a conspiracy, just that something didn't add up?

The U.S. Navy destroyer that slammed into a cargo ship in Japanese waters in mid-June, killing seven crew members, failed to react to warning signals in the moments leading up to the crash, the Phillippine-flagged ship’s captain said Monday.

The captain of the ACX Crystal said the container ship flashed lights toward the USS Fitzgerald after it “suddenly” began heading on a collision course near Tokyo Bay on June 17, Reuters reported, citing a copy of Ronald Advincula's account to Dainichi Investment Corporation, the ship’s owner.

The U.S. Navy didn't comment to Fox News. Reuters reported it viewed a copy of Advincula’s account but was not able to independently verify it.

react to warning signals, captain says
    Published June 26, 2017
    Fox News
    [​IMG]

June 18, 2017: The damaged USS Fitzgerald is docked at the U.S. Naval base in Yokosuka, southwest of Tokyo after colliding with Philippine-flagged container ship ACX Crystal off Japan. (AP)

The U.S. Navy destroyer that slammed into a cargo ship in Japanese waters in mid-June, killing seven crew members, failed to react to warning signals in the moments leading up to the crash, the Phillippine-flagged ship’s captain said Monday.

The captain of the ACX Crystal said the container ship flashed lights toward the USS Fitzgerald after it “suddenly” began heading on a collision course near Tokyo Bay on June 17, Reuters reported, citing a copy of Ronald Advincula's account to Dainichi Investment Corporation, the ship’s owner.

The U.S. Navy didn't comment to Fox News. Reuters reported it viewed a copy of Advincula’s account but was not able to independently verify it.

Advincula said in the account that his ship steered hard right to avoid the Fitzgerald but hit it 10 minutes later, around 1:30am local time.

The resulting collision created a large gash on the side of the destroyer. When the listing ship was returned to a U.S. base in Yokosuka, divers recovered the bodies of seven sailors, The Associated Press reported.

Related Image
    [​IMG]Expand / Collapse
    U.S. military personnel preparing to transfer an injured crew member on the USS Fitzgerald June 17. (Japan's Defense Ministry via AP)

REAR ADMIRAL TO INVESTIGATE DEADLY CRASH

Advincula said in the account that his ship steered hard right to avoid the Fitzgerald but hit it 10 minutes later, around 1:30am local time.

The resulting collision created a large gash on the side of the destroyer. When the listing ship was returned to a U.S. base in Yokosuka, divers recovered the bodies of seven sailors, The Associated Press reported.

8. OpanaPointer

I think we'll have to wait for the official inquiry to get the missing information here. The freighter would, naturally, paint a picture that was favorable to them. I handled auto accident claims for a while, it's what people do.

rkline56 likes this.
  9. rkline56

OP, I know right. That explanation sounds too simple. That many people asleep on the bridge? Naw. Maybe the $0.59 part in the radar display.

Kudos to all the damage control Sailors who kept the fighting "Fitz" afloat. Appears a few of the sailors below decks saved a bunch of their shipmates and were not able to make it out. One I read about in particular the 37 year old career sailor from Elyria, OH. I just moved from Elyria, a quiet town in the rust belt 30 minutes west of Cleveland.. A proper Memorial will be erected to FC1 Gary Leo Rehm Jr. in the Town Square. He was very "short" (Navy slang) and approaching retirement in about a month. Rest in Peace, Sir!

‘He died a hero’: Family learns about Elyria sailor’s final moments after USS Fitzgerald collision

10. OpanaPointer

Go-To Veterans, we need them every day.

11. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

12. Pacifist

Pacifist Active Member

Well this answers the question about how hard the navy is going to come down on the Captain.
    Navy filing homicide charges for McCain, Fitzgerald commanders

In addition
    Don't have a collision with fatalities during peace time or you'll be fired, your boss will be fired, his boss will be fired, and his boss will be fired.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  13. belasar

belasar Court Jester

A captain is always responsible for what happens on board their ship. It may not be fair, but its the way it is.

14. toki2

toki2 Active Member

Throughout history, strong military forces believe themselves to be so sophisticated as to be invincible. Checks and balances diminish as confidence grows. Unfortunately, fatalities need to occur before the lack of stringent command is evident.

15. toki2

toki2 Active Member

Throughout history, strong military forces believe themselves to be so sophisticated as to be invincible. Checks and balances diminish as confidence grows. Unfortunately, fatalities need to occur before the lack of stringent command is evident.

16. mcoffee

mcoffee Son-of-a-Gun(ner)