Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

How long to make 1st Sergeant?

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by mcoffee, May 9, 2020.

1. mcoffee

mcoffee Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

I received a photo of a of a B-24 pilot from one of his relatives who thought the photo "was of his commissioning". However, the photo shows the individual wearing the Arrowhead/T of the 36th ID and 1st Sergeant stripes. I looked up his enlistment record at NARA and he enlisted 25 November 1940 at Waco, TX into the National Guard. That fits with the 36th ID patch.
    The pilot and crew arrived in Italy on 20 March 1944 and the pilot was KIA 2 July 1944. It should have taken 18 - 24 months to go through pilot training, crew training and get to Italy, which puts him as a cadet sometime March to November '42. That seems fast to make 1st Sergeant. Am I missing something?

2. Class of '42

Class of '42 Active Member

3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I presume you used the Electronic Enlistment files. The enlistment dates are not necessarily the initial enlistment date, so take that into account. It's possible the Nov 1940 date was a re-enlistment date. When the NG units were activated in 1942, there may have been some accelerated promotions to fill open slots. Just a few possibilities.

4. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

.....I was just saying in another thread:
    --I turned 21 in Boot Camp early 80s ...I was one of the older ones.....I had ''natural''/''genetic'' discipline--I got promoted meritoriously to PFC in BCamp--then meritoriously to Lcpl out of School of Infantry a few months later.....this is very fast ...made Cpl soon--but then got into trouble at the EClub......
    ....I'm guessing if you were good, they would see it and could promote them?
    ..as 42 stated, promotions came fast in the war