Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

How much would a brand new Gatling gun be worth?

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by OpanaPointer, Mar 17, 2018.

1. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

A friend wants to build a Gatling gun, from scratch. (If he wasn't crazy he wouldn't be my friend.)

So, any SWAGs as to how much a never before existed Gatling gun is worth? He made it clear that he doesn't expect to break even on this project, the boy has more time and money than good sense.

He also wants to know how hard it is to get ammo for them, he'll build the tools to make the casings and mold the bullets if need be.

Everybody has that one friend. At least I talked him out of mounting it on a Bren gun carrier.

JJWilson, formerjughead and von Poop like this.
  2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

This wouldn't have anything to do with 18 year old Scotch would it ?

I think I've seen a video of a Ruger 10-22 gatling gun. Actually it was a double barrel contraption but with enough hootch the possibilities are endless.

3. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

You sicken me.

George Patton likes this.
  4. chibobber

chibobber Member

If he chambers it for 45-70 gvt,ammo would not be a problem.Have him line up a patron to finance it,like a work of art. If plans are available make digital files and manufacture w/modern techniques.Anything is possible if you throw enough money at it.

5. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

After some careful thought I must say that I agree. A Bren Carrier-mounted Gatling is sooo gauche. Now, a Gatling gun mounted on the .50 cal socket of a late production M4 Sherman mount would really speak of fineness and style.

von Poop likes this.
  6. OpanaPointer

He's been in my stash before, never again. But he's serious about his little projects. He was looking into building a fly-by-wire Trifokker, but someone else was ahead of him in that game.
    Yeah, I know, "great Youtube!!!". His wife is also a friend.

von Poop likes this.
  7. OpanaPointer

He has the money, no problem there. Wifey just wants to throw the project in front of the bus. It's fun to watch them at this kind of thing.

8. lwd

lwd Ace

I've seen plans for a "half" scale using 22 cal (short?) bullets. Might be worth doing that first. I remember being at a demo once where they were firing one. The owner spent most of the day reloading. Of course his used black powder. That's an important consideration will it be able to handle modern powders? What part of the country you are in may be pretty important cost wise as the wood for the carriage may very considerably in price and availability. All the work going into it would likely mean that you could sell it to a reenactment group at a profit as long as you don't count your time. At one time I looked at buying gun tubes and building ACW artillery. I think at that time you could get just about double the materials back if selling to a reenactment group. My plan was only to make 2 or 3 guns and end up with one keeper paid for. Never got around to it though.

9. OpanaPointer

I'm not doing this, I'm not made of money. My friend lives in Maine. He has re-enactors on board for the donkey work (trigger, I mean crank, time as payment). Good news is he has acquired a set of plans, he won't have to reinvent the crank.

10. lwd

lwd Ace

I'm thinking the half scale might teach them enough lessons to make the whole project go faster plus they'd have another neat toy when they were done. At demo's it could be a real winner as well. More people would be happy to spring for a few bucks so they or their offspring could run through a box of 22 ammo in a couple of minutes than could spring for the amount to go through a box of full scale ammo especially if they choose one of the larger calibers.

*** edit for ***
    Main should have plenty of access to the hardwoods needed for the carriage and mills where you could request the custom cut base stock.

11. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

I believe a 45 caliber Gatlin showed up on Pawn Stars. They offered about $75,000 but the owner refused. Memory fades but I think they were asking $125,000. If an original example that sounds about right....not including the Bren carrier! A 3 barrel 37mm showed up but I forget the particulars.

You could excite the neighbors by chambering it for the 25MM Bushmaster! .....and an electric drive.

Gaines

12. OpanaPointer

I was offered one of Custer's Gatlings back in '08. Wasn't in the market. We never got to the haggling part, but the grapevine was saying "$250,000" considering the history.

I'll talk to him about a kiddie version, but I know he's hell-bent-for-leather to do the real deal first. His labor force might be interested in doing it, he'll be off on another tear by then. Anybody ever seen an El Camino with a V1 engine in the back?