Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

How often was the SMLE Jungle carbine actually used in combat?

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by Hufflepuff, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff Semi-Frightening Mountain Goat

I saw a video of a guy who was lucky enough to own one of these rifles, and I was wondering how often they were used in combat. Due to thier short length, my guess is that it would have been pretty useful in the Burma jungles. Any hard facts?

2. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

The Lee-Enfield Number 5, Mark 1 "Jungle Carbine" was exactly that: it was a short carbine designed for use in WWII jungle combat.
    It was never intended to be a high accuracy rifle, and it wasn't.

3. Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff Semi-Frightening Mountain Goat

I understand, but was it used in combat often?

I am asking this question because there are plenty of guns out there definitely NOT designed for the field, and yet they're used in earnest...

4. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

see thread: Lee Enfield No5 Mk1 ( Jungle Carbine )

5. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Beings there were half a million produced from 1944-1947 and the rifle remained in service through the Korean war I am thinking it may have seen some service. I do not think that it saw as much use as the MK4; but, I am sure it was used none the less, most likely by commonwealth troops.

6. marc780

marc780 Member

It was also used by the British in the "Mau-Mau" conflict in Kenya (1952-1960), when that country was in the process of assuming independance from Britain (which it did in 1963). It was a light and handy rifle, but not always the most popular rifle in the squaddie's kit, since when fired, the muzzle blast from the short barrel was could be described as spectacular.