Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

How to identify your French WW2 belt?

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by Skipper, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I thought you collectors might find it useful to learn how to identify a French WW2 army belt in one glance.

[​IMG]

This is why I took pictures of three models I have in my collection .

1)There is a Private (soldat/troupe ) model

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is sturdy thick leather and simple. There is a copper buckle with a reinforced copper tube and no loops for scabards or pouches around the leather. Sewing is basic with no decoration. Pouches or accessoiries were to be attached with leather triangles when the soldier was on the field. If not he's just wear the belt

. [​IMG]

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

2) the second model is a Sous Officier one (called SOC = sous officier de Carrière) .

The leather is better quality and has some basic loops for scabards and a porte épée. The sewing reinforcments are shaped to make them look as decorations. The color is brighter (tobacco brown) . Since they were pistol , they do not need triangles for pouches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

3) The officer model. The leather is much better quality (I believe sheep ) . It has several loops , the bucle is brass . The sewing are shaped to make them look like decorations on both sides (even inside!) . It has a protection layer inside to prevent the leathe rfrom staining. There are loops for a porte épée, pistol or scabard or other accessoiries like document bags etc... They are often taylor made and could personalised .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

even inside!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kai-Petri likes this.
  4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

[​IMG]

The back .

So now you can check your belts and see what model(s) you have and from now on no excuse to set up the wrong mannequin. Don't forget to check whether you find and oval stamp with date in it , it makes them even better. Remember officer models can be taylor made, so without a date. Hope you like the tutoral .

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quiz! Are they officers or not?

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Bump... This one went unnoticed