Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

How to remember Armando Servin De La Mora, Army Serial No. 39701715?

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by fredvogels, Mar 23, 2014.

1. fredvogels

fredvogels Member

This question came to Back to Normandy (www.backtonormandy.org) from a 75 years old lady.

Thank you so very much for responding to my quest to get my uncle included among the WWII Honorees who participated in the Normandy invasion on D-Day. Regrettably, I do not know very much about the details, since he (like many war vets) didn’t like to talk about his experiences much. He was wounded, but not seriously. By the time he returned, the only scar he would show us was the one on one of his thumbs that kept him from using it much. I do know that almost every year for the rest of his life until he passed, my uncle traveled to a particular hotel in Paris for some sort of gathering of those celebrating the liberation of Paris. I cannot recall the name of the hotel.

My uncle served in the US Army. His name is Armando Servin De La Mora, Army Serial No. 39701715. His DOB is 01/21/1910 and dates of active service are 07/28/1943 to 11/15/1945. He was very proud of his service. I wish to make sure that his name is included among those who participated in the war effort, including the Normandy invasion.
    I found a document that stated my uncle was assigned to Hq Co Seine Section, Arm of Service – CE and Component AUS. Since he was an Upholsterer by trade before and after his military service, he probably did something related to that part of the time before the Normandy invasion.

The document also states that he was a Pfc. I know that stands for Private, first class. It also states that he was “Expert Carbine M-1.” Battles and Campaigns were “Northern France.” Decorations and citations were “European African Middle Eastern Campaign Medal, Good Conduct Medal and Victory Medal.” Regrettably, I don’t know what happened to the medals. His Separation Center was Fort MacArthur, California.

I was contacted many years ago by some WWII committee, but cannot recall if the process was ever completed. I am now 75 years old, and want to make sure that my uncle is remembered. Can you please assist me?
    end quote

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

it might be helpful to see the document that is being quoted. The unit referenced may not be the unit he actually served with during the War. It is common to see discharge papers where the unit is one to which the vet was assigned for rotation home. (end of caveat)

Having said that, I think CE would be Corps of Engineers. I found the following regarding the reference to Seine Section in Logistical Support of the Armies:

There's also a unit history on Lone Sentry: Seine Section, Paris France, 1945

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

fredvogels likes this.
  4. fredvogels

fredvogels Member

Wonderful information Tommy and Russo. I have passed the information. Thanks!!

5. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I'm just happy we could help, Fred.

fredvogels likes this.