Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

How To Watch Republican Debate

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by Poppy, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

This would be a ratings bonanza. ..Why aren't any US networks broadcasting this debate to Canada...
    The only debate I could find was Canadian- boring...Why would Canada schedule a political debate the same day as an American one...
    Canadian voters have already decided who wins next election.

Want to hear the Donald throw shit against the fan.

Where can I watch/listen.
    Twitter? I don't do facebook or myspace, lol.

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Its going to be a car crash...either from Donald or at him...worth a watch...Sarah Palin should be there too...

3. Takao

Takao Ace

Too many clowns in the clown car...

I might watch Republican debates once they drop about 10 of the no-chancers, and get down to real issues, instead of the posturing that is most likely occurring in this one.

Until then, if I want comedy, I will watch the Three Stooges or the Marx Brothers.

4. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

The best way to watch a political debate is with a big bowl of popcorn & some hard liqueur. I missed the debate last night as more pressing matters were at hand. Mainly reruns of The Andy Griffith Show.

5. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I watched it. I thought it was interesting, with the moderators throwing out tough questions. It's true though, there are too many candidates at this point for anyone to really get an opportunity to give an in-depth answer to anything. Trump got skewered by both the moderators and some of the other candidates. It was pretty illuminating when he was asked why he gave money to so many candidates (dem and republican) and he was just sort of: "That's how it works, I give them money and then they do stuff for me."

Carson came across very well for an outsider. Walker and Cruz looked good. Some of the others (Kasich, Huckabee) made you wonder why they were even there. Bush sounded like a robot, spitting out stock bumper sticker answers. Rand Paul just sounded angry.

I'd really like to have heard Carly Fiorina, but she was culled out and stuck in the early debate for the "also rans." She strikes me as one of the more interesting candidates and I'd have dumped Huckabee or Kasich, and put her in the main debate.

6. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

The problem with Trump, like Ross Peroux (sp?) is they can bank roll their own election, even if dumped he can afford to run as independent...a hard core character assassination has to come from somebody...

7. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

If I were Trump, would have told Megyn Kelly that she looked fantastic first, then answered her feminist question...Laughable she gets all dressed up as a 10, then asks questions about how men talk about women they find unattractive.

ULITHI likes this.
  8. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

He's entitled to his opinion as D Trump and wear the consequences...but as President of the USA and in the most powerful position on Earth...his attitudes are important to know...

9. Takao

Takao Ace

Well let's see...
    Megan Kelly is reported to have said

Any two-bit comedian should find this easy to answer.

Then President of the United States, Bill Clinton, said the same thing to Monika Lewinsky. Hillary Clinton married Bill, and stayed with him despite his infidelities...So, apparently she finds the "act" acceptable. Also, didn't JFK, Bill's idol, install a revolving door under his presidential desk.

10. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

And look what happened to them both...
    I'm not necessarily making judgement (from that comment) just that these questions are more than relevant...he's running the risk of alienating 50% of the electorate...Nice single sweep of the axe there for the opposition...

11. Takao

Takao Ace

Fah! He's running as a Republican, he's already, all things being equal, alienated 50% of the electorate(Democrats). He is also threatening to run as an Independent, so even he does not think he will get the Republican nod.

This is all part of the clown car posturing that I talked about earlier...Cute chicks, fat chicks and Rosie O'Donnell...Give me a break. Unfortunately, this is the kind of stuff the low information voters eat up.

Wake me up when we get to the "hardball" questions...Foreign policy, the economy, the national debt, defense policy, etc.

12. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

You can tell more about a man by the knot in his tie, his haircut an the brand of whiskey he drinks that you can by his stance on a subject.

The rhetoric of debates is pointless it's just sales and marketing; they aren't giving their own opinions, just saying what their staff thinks you want to hear.

KJ Jr likes this.
  13. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Calling these things "debates" is ridiculous. They are sound-bite generators for the news media. The networks (who have no financial stake in this, right? :rolleyes: ) ask misleading and "gotcha" questions for the express purpose of boosting their own ratings. The second question of the "debate" is about what Trump said to a reality show contestant? With all of the real issues that could have been addressed, that was their #2 question??

McCabe likes this.
  14. Takao

Takao Ace

Ratings, man, ratings. Real issues don't attract viewers.

I would also add that these "sound-byte generators" are also fuel for the many political comedians. I went to Mt. Gretna to see Mark Russell, and he did a good 15-20 minutes on the debate, and it had occurred less than 24 hours before his performance. BTW, It was an awesome show.

15. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

That reminds me of the SNL spoof of the 2008 Hillary-Obama debate. Very funny stuff.

16. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I think there will be 9 more debates. Each one will have less candidates and each one of them will have more time to elucidate their vision. I learned a lot even from this first one.

Ben Carson has come a long way. He's a brilliant man anyway, and it's obvious he's improved his political knowledge and skills - he's a quick study.
    I suspect Bush is actually a robot incapable of speaking a line that isn't programmed in.
    Scott Walker is impressive and comfortable playing in the big leagues.
    I like Rand Paul's politics, but he comes across as angry and combative.
    Rubio didn't seem to get much time, but he was direct and clear. Likeable.
    Cruz is also a straight shooter. Not much charm, but he's consistent and direct.
    Trump is an ass-clown.
    Christie - see Trump.
    Huckabee and Kasich were taking up space.

I still wish they'd have given Fiorina a shot. I think she's kind of a dark horse and if the media would give her some attention, she might do very well.

CAC likes this.
  17. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

It is going to be hard for the big three & other left-learning news organizations to give Fiorina much coverage at all. To do so would remove Hillary's raison d' etre.

18. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

It'd have been nice to know Obamas' opinion on border security and Iran before he was elected. But that stuff never came out in the debates.
    Agreeing that debates are basically fluffer stuff.
    When a huge audience watches Call Me Bruce, and The Kardashabutts, no one should be surprised at the crappy questions from hot Fox, Megyn K.
    She has boned up (oh please, not like that) on reality tv, and how the Donald has mistreated all women...

Thinking, that was the day news died.

Sung to the tune of Don McLeans' American Pie:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAsV5-Hv-7U

19. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Hey, 45 minutes into the 2nd debate and it is entertaining. Read Drudge this morning and it read like Trump won easily...CNN read Carly won hands down, and nobody laughed or clapped for Trump...Sees to me Drudge has been more correct than CNN's version.

Trump dominated conversation time in first 45 min.

-@ 48:09, Christie is leaning on his podium like he is exhausted. Disrespectful ...I do not like that guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtoAjFwKBmU