Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

How were US artillery units organized?

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by 69dodgechrgr, Jan 3, 2011.

1. 69dodgechrgr

69dodgechrgr Member

3rd revision posted above. Take a look and fire away!

2. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

Battery D of most artillery battalions is the service battery. That is the rear echelon supply and support troops. It consists of the following:

Bty HQ and HQ section
    AM&S section
    Maintenance section
    Admin and Personnel section
    Battalion maintenance platoon
    Battalion supply and transportation platoon

3. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

I think you are tinking of Head Quarters Battery , Head Quarters & Head Quarters Battery or Head Quarters & Service Battery. I have never seen a 'Lettered" unit be anything other than a 'Line' unit. All of the examples you give are things that would be organic to a HQ BTRY, H&H BTRY or H&S Battery..........you need to think of a 'Battery' being the same as a 'Company' in a line Battalion. The other thing to consider is why would 'Guns' be allocated to a battery if the primary job of the personell in that Battery was not firing the guns?

Each Battery also has it's own Headquarters section usually less than a dozen guys.

4. 69dodgechrgr

69dodgechrgr Member

So should I have the HQ and Service Companies labeled as batteries instead of companies?

5. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

You could; but, it's your research and your decision to make. In the first diagram you posted it is labled as a 'Battery'. What is the purpose of you diagram?

6. 69dodgechrgr

69dodgechrgr Member

I'm doing the diagram for fun and for a better understanding of how units in the 85th Division were organized. For me it's easier if I can visualize it in diagram form. I renamed the HQ and Service units as Batteries so I think I'm satisfied with the diagram unless somebody sees anything else that needs correcting.