Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hungarian Armored Forces in World War II, by Peter Mujzer

Discussion in 'ETO, MTO and the Eastern Front' started by ColHessler, Aug 27, 2020.

1. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

Length, 131 pages

This book gives us the background and history of the Hungarian armored troops and their vehicles from the 1920's to 1945. The author gives us the history of their acquisition of tanks in the early times, as they tried to hide what they got from the Allied Control Commission, and then as they built their own industry during the 1930's. From there we get the moves they made before Barbarossa, namely into Slovakia, Romania and Yugoslavia, to regain territory taken in the Treaty of Trianon.

We then get a sketchy description, which one could find better filled out elsewhere, of their time in Russia, from the initial invasion, to the flank of Stalingrad and ending with the invasion of Hungary.

Mujzer feels compelled to compare the TO&E of the Hungarian armor divisions with their counterparts elsewhere in the little Axis and the major combatants. We know that kind of thing is apples to oranges, but the author did it anyway.

The best parts of this book are in the descriptions, four view drawings, and many photos, some from his collection, and colorized pictures and color plates. For its size, Hungary had a good industry and could build several tanks, SP guns, and AA guns.

Overall, this can help fill a gap in our knowledge of the vehicles Hungary used, including the borrowed Panthers and Tigers the author mentions, and shows in B&W pictures. For the history of the operations, there may be better places to look.

bronk7 and belasar like this.
  2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Anything about the Odessa Jewish massacre?

3. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

4. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

You're thinking of the Romanians, and this was about the Hungarian forces.

5. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

You are correct. Sorry about that.

ColHessler likes this.
  6. Takao

Takao Ace

Is this the Photosniper book?

7. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

Yes it is.

8. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

...I never got into that subject--but I should, now.....
    ..supposedly my ''great'' father-in-law fought for the Hungarians......he and his family left Hungary in 1944 when the Russians invaded.....went to Germany in a horse drawn cart....I never got to ask him much..I just met him a couple of times......

ColHessler likes this.