Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Huzzah for the Old Farts!

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Za Rodinu, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

2. James777

James777 Member

"I've got your DNA".
    Absolutely brilliant : ) i hope he is suitably rewarded , all those hours spent watching CSI came in useful.

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Ya gotta love that man!

4. Richard

Richard Expert

Thats the problem we have here now. Walk on by, let the crooks put fear in to us. Not me they don't and not that wonderful o.a.p, good for him.

5. James777

James777 Member

Its not just there Richard , recently a young guy who came to teach in Philly was shot to death for his Ipod.Theres plenty other examples.
    Criminals here fear little , Several policeman have been gunned down as well in the short time ive been here , something like 4 or 5

Regarding the 80yr old man i think one comment left says it best

He is from a different generation - a generation that fought off Hitler - a punk wasn't going to frighten him off - we have grown into a complacent, liguini-spined society. God help us.
    - Annie, Madrid, 31/

6. Lias_Co_Pilot

Lias_Co_Pilot Member

My grandfather was one of the toughest and most entertaining senior citizens you ever met (he had been one of Teddy's Rough Riders). We moved into his hotel when I was six. Several nights later there was a commotion in the lobby and I saw a gang of teenagers being tough. My grandfather stepped out (he was 80 at the time) and told the gang that if they didn't leave his lobby immediately, he would "pin their ears back". They left immediately.

He had been a smoker from age 9 to 65, but a few weeks after the lobby incident, he got into a challenge argument with my teenage brother in law. In slippers, he then ran a ten minute mile.

He had a horrible and quick temper. I was six, and my brother a very adorable four. We were in a bakery. An old woman complimented my brother. My grandfather then caused a scene by screaming:"WHY DON'T YOU PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR OWN GRANDKIDS, AND LEAVE MY GRANDKIDS ALONE!!!"

A week later, my grandfather was towing a car behind his pickup and he was in another animated conversation with my brother in law. An impatient driver behind us pulled aside us and screamed insults. Him and my grandfather pulled off the road, got out, and started screaming at each other. Shoving started, and in a matter of seconds my grandfather beat into a bloody pulp a man half his age.

Besides being a retired railroader (also a living legend), he was also a retired volunteer firefighter. When the local volunteeer fire department adopted me as their mascot (largely due to my grandfather), he decided to briefly unretire. On the way to a fire call he was killed in a freak accident (the only possible thing that could've killed this unstoppable ball of fire).

On the day of his funeral, only a few vital businesses stayed open. There wasn't enough room in the funeral home and the crowd spilled out onto Main Street. The funeral procession required shutting down the entire west side of town. The High School delayed bus pickup for an hour until the cemetary could be cleared.

macrusk likes this.
  7. Lias_Co_Pilot

Lias_Co_Pilot Member

On the subject of him being a legend:

He was brakeman on a freight one day. His train was pulling into the trainyard. The engineer saw that the switch ahead was in the wrong position and collision with an outgoing freight was imminent. He called back to the caboose.

My grandfather climbed on top of the train and ran the length of the train, hopping onto the outgoing freight, running that length, and jumping off to throw the switch in time to stop the collision from happening.

It was said he ran "like the blue blazes" and his nickname from that day on was "Blaze".

8. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

That's GRIT!

9. Shangas

Shangas Member

Lias Co-pilot...that was...bloody awesome...You must be very proud of your grandfather.

10. Lias_Co_Pilot

Lias_Co_Pilot Member

He certainly left HUGE shoes to fill.

11. bigfun

bigfun Ace

That man has brass stones.

12. James777

James777 Member

Even though it was a jewelers..does anyone else think they might have found a better way to reward him , a rolex is sweet..true , but he's 83 ..c'mon

Cant look a gift horse and all that but ..still .. a timepiece for an 83yr old? Other than the obvious id wager by now he has a decent watch and has had for many years.

13. Herr Oberst

Herr Oberst Member

How true, 18 year olds in the early 40s were volunteering for the military, in the 2008 they're at home playing video games.

14. James777

James777 Member

I suppose one could argue its why those 18 yr olds in the 40's volunteered , so todays youth doesnt have to.

15. Shangas

Shangas Member

I think it's a very appropriate gift. It's something that he can use and pass on to his family in years to come. A watch can last for centuries and it will be an eternal testament of his bravery to his grandkids. Just think of it in 40 or 50 years...

"Your great-granddaddy was a soldier in WWII and he got this watch after he took on two young punks armed with sledgehammers when he was in his eighties. Now that's balls, Jimmy."

16. Herr Oberst

Herr Oberst Member

Yes you could argue that and also argue that it was a general sense of better character and guts than the youth of today, as well as a sense of pride.;)