Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

I am sort of puttin this here without...

Discussion in 'Atomic Bombs In the Pacific' started by brndirt1, Jul 16, 2010.

1. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I am sort of putting this here without checking all over, but I suppose it belongs here as much as anywhere. It was on this date, in 1945 (July 16th) that the "gadget" was exploded at Alamagordo. Proving the concept of an implossion device a workable atomic bomb type.

The "gun-type" dropped on Hiroshima was never tested before it was used, it was simple enough that the physicists and engineers were pretty certain it would function as designed on the chalkboard. They were right. However what they knew about radiation, and the other "side-effects" of an atomic blast left much to be desired.

They weren't "heartless beasts" who irradiated the Japanese people without compunction, they simply didn't know nor understand radiation as well then as we do now.

I am not positive it is a good or bad thing that the "genie was let out" of the bottle, at the time I'm sure it seemed an advantageous weapon which would end this bloody war, and ensure peace. Then it was possibly an energy source which would produce "electricity so cheaply that it won't even be metered"! They sure missed on the last one, but we did get some awesome ships out of the deal. Without nuclear power where would our submarines and large surface ships be today.

2. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

3. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

Clint, you just said something that is a big pet-peeve of my buddy who used to work at the National Atomic Museum.

He likes to point out that the town of Alamagordo was not destroyed by the explosion because it was actually tested like 40 miles outside of town.

Sorry, had to say it :D, no offinse!

4. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

None taken, it is simply that generally speaking the name is used for the site of the test. Probably because it is the nearest point of referrence for persons not from or familiar with the area.

That way they can look on a map and get a general idea of where the test was undertaken.

5. Mark4

Mark4 Ace

They say the atomic bomb save lives and if the just invaded japan their would have been over 1 million casualties and god knows what would happened to the navy and the Japanese casualties. Plus the large number of Japanese troops in Korea and China But i don't know I hope no one have to use nukes again.

6. SonOfStone

SonOfStone Member

My father-to-be, as a member of the 81st Infantry Division; was waiting on Leyte in the Philippines. They would have been part of those invading the Japanese home islands.
    Without the BOMB, I probably would not be here.
    I have also read that the Japanese were preparing to deploy hoardes of children and old men to be front line defenders on their beaches. This to put them between the invaders and their regular troops; and to demoralize the allies who would have been smashing through such "civilians" to get to the real targets.
    There were also kamakazi boats and divers, two-man submarines, beached ships as gun platforms, planes hidden under bridges, and - reputedly - long lance torpedoes with 20 mile range.

My dad cried when they told him the Japs had surrendered. But, he was on KP at the time, peeling a load of onions; so maybe that was why.

THE HEADLINES EXTRA

7. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

I, who was with 6 brothers and two sisters, were taught by our parents to realize that my dad who was also trained to do behind the lines communications on the beaches of Japan, that we would not be here in their belief if my dad had had to perform his duties in the invasion of Japan. My dad simply did not think his job was survivable and was so thankful for the bombs that made it possible for him to come home. My mom believed the same about his service and always reminded us that the bomb was greatly appreciated by the two of them and expected us kids to appreciate it as well. Sonofstone I have realized that there were many people in many places that felt the same way about the bomb and their lives.

8. Stan41

Stan41 Member

I remember when the bombs were dropped although I was a small child. I have never known anyone of my parents generation who were not glad it happened.
    Stan

9. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

Saved a lot of lives, even if it was pretty horrible. A tough decision, but I'm quite sure it was the right one. Of course, it is worth noting that my grandfather the Marine Raider was another Joe who would have been sent to those beaches. He landed at Yokosuka after all was said and done, and I think he was rather tired of opposed landings, so he was pretty content with Truman's logic.