Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

I dare you...

Discussion in 'The Members Lounge' started by me262 phpbb3, Aug 11, 2004.

1. David.W

David.W Active Member

via TanksinWW2
    Looks like we may be heading towards a "Shoe event horizon"

2. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I'm not willing to go that far... :D

Seriously, this thread has digressed way too far. Please post more pictures and less talk about shoes. ;)

3. sonofecthelion

sonofecthelion New Member

via TanksinWW2
    What if we compromise and post pictures of shoes?

4. David.W

David.W Active Member

via TanksinWW2
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    So you're not a "Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" fan then Roel?

In all fairness this is a Tank and Warfare discussion Forum so even on this thread shoes really should be a no-no, unless you're related to them of course then it fits the thread quite nicely...

Something more Manly is more appropriate, so perhaps we could redirect the things in the direction of Boots (Not the chemist), shoes are girly, but Boots are suitably macho, unless you're talking about thigh-high leather stillettos, but enough about my collection..... :D

(Back on topic, any ideas how to reduce the memory a picture takes up, I have a few I'd like to post but they're all way too big!)

6. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well Simonr, I'd love to read that book. All I need is the time... What's the relevance btw? :)

If you have a good image-viewing program, you should be able to reduce the quality of the picture or simply its nominal size. I hope it helps, but I can do little from here...

7. DesertWolf

DesertWolf Member

via TanksinWW2
    Hope to see some other pics of members soon! :D

8. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Without going into too much detail there is a passage in the book that suggests that all galactic civilisations pass through certain economic stages until they reach a point where their economy is entirely based on the sale and purchase of shoes, at this point their civilisation collapses as they have lost the ability to produce anything else. This point is known as the "Shoe Event Horizon" (Which David referred to earlier).

If you get the time, "Hitch-hiker's guide to the Galaxy" is well worth reading, so is "Restaurant at the End of the Universe" and "Life, the Universe and Everything". "So long and thanks for all the Fish" is I think still worth reading, but is not brilliant, and in all honesty "Mostly Harmless" I would rather have not read :angry: . But the first three are good, they're not thick books so don't take too much time to read.

I've read one or two of Douglas Adam's other books and have found the rest pretty uninspiring.

Thanks for the advice regarding the pictures, I'll have a play and post them when I get a chance.

9. liang

liang New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Although cross-dressing was never one of my fantasies, I also share your passion for collecting.......sneakers. My favorites are the Saucony running shoes and Jordan basketball....Sorry, no boots though. So was the German WWII movie "Das boots" about shoes or no?

10. Man

Man New Member

via TanksinWW2
    DesertWolf, how is the retirement fund going? :p

I guess we have a very varying group of people here. Great forum :D

11. dave phpbb3

dave phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    i have kno pic of myself sorry people, i have tried to het away with showing people a picture of 1 guy from slipknot and say that i was in a band but it never worked

12. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Wouldn't exactly do wonders for your image here if you said you were one of the members of Slipknot! :D

At least not in my view...

But we digress again.

13. dave phpbb3

dave phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    i might be able to get a pic in of me and some friends

14. scaramouche

scaramouche New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Here's a pic of myself and a bear that broke through the kitchen door of my house last year. and became history when confronted with a Webbley Mk, 5......Donated the carcass to a V.A. Home, reportedly it supplied them with steaks to last a while..His skin now hungs in one of their day rooms... The hound (Jake) belongs to my nearest neighbor-who lives about half-a mile from me..

15. liang

liang New Member

via TanksinWW2
    That's a serious looking piece of hardware, how many shots did it take? What size slug did you use?

16. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Good to see you scaramouche!

You must live quite far "out back" to have bears actually invade your home when they get hungry...

17. scaramouche

scaramouche New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The Webbley was lgiven to me by a friend-it needed a new firing pin-which thanks to the guidance of my father in law, we were able to duplicate in my workshop. It came with 100 rounds of original 455. cartridges, dating back to WW2.. which l turned over to a local gun shop for reloading...The photo is somewhat deceiving-a l'm 6 "5"-...the bear was bigger. hahahah!!. i was in our "mudd" kitchen after a long night at the office-when this plantigrade decided to break through the screen door.. It was definetly up to no good, since the local polic found an 8-point buck it had killed and nearly decapitated...Fortunately, the revolver was in its case-and handy..I fired all six rounds..at close range-four into the head.....
    P.S. l trust you were inquiring about the Webbley..the rifle on the foreground, which played no part in this inicident is a Browning. 375 ...And personal anecdote; if l may.-mywsife was sleeping soundly until she heard the shot..woke up in no time, managed to put her shoes on and came down the stairs brandishing the rifle...

18. scaramouche

scaramouche New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well, althoug there are industrial regions and congested urban centers Pennsyvania and New Jersey still have extensive farlmlands and woods.The NE of the US has enjoyed relatively mild dwinters in the past decade --and even urban areas like Princeton are afflicted by a super abundance of deer, raccoons, and BEARS!!! . Due to the a long standing ban on deer hunting they have proliferated in such a manner that Princeton township alone experienced over 800 traffic accidents invoolving these graceful and innofensive animals. It's common to see deer, stricken by vehidles along most of the main roads and highways.aOne must be speccially alert, as they tend to panic and jump right in front of speeding vehicles....Heck, here in Pennsylvania they are so tame they come up to our back porch looking for food. Bears? they wondered as far as North as New Brunswick, (New Jersey)- last year- and were so numerous that the State of NJ declared a Bear Hunt this time last year. I do not believe in hunting for pleasure or a trophy... but after one of these plantigrades threathened the home where my wife and infant son were sleeping, my father in law, my friend Ingo and l went into the hills, where we took proper revenge and somewhat reduced the bear population...Needless to say,we were eager to participate in a projected bear hunt this year, but the ussual bleeding heart ninnies griped and groaned, and no decission has been reached as of this date...

19. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well, I can understand that you'd shoot a bear threatening to hurt you and your family, but that's as far as I will go, so count me with the bleeding heart ninnies!

In Europe bears are virtually extinct, and when occasionally one goes berserk in Northern or Eastern Europe, it is usually sedated or made harmless in other non-fatal ways.

20. scaramouche

scaramouche New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Bears are far from extinct here, quite numerous and dangerous-the one that came to dinner at our house wwighed over 1000 pounds..I believe that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure-or in the wise words of Pete Clemenza to Michael Corleone :" They should have stoppped Hitler at Munich, they should oever have allowed him to go that far"...and as these bears were within 20 mile radius of my home they were potential threats to hearth and home and therefore; dead meat as far as l was concerned-I can assure you that the ones l shot were definetly not Yogi Bear or any of his cute and cuddly relatives...