Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

I need some advice on creating grand Uncle's shadow box...

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by andrwoo, Feb 19, 2015.

1. andrwoo

andrwoo New Member

I am hoping for some advice from you guys. I am working on a 2015 Christmas gift for my brother George. He was named after our grand uncle PFC George Clevenger. I have been working on documents and have gotten some good advice/leads in another thread. What I need now is advice on how/where/what to purchase.

I would like the following items:
    1. Dog tags - What was the common information stamped? (enlisted Army 20 Jul 1940).
    • Where can I have new ones made?
    2. Purple Heart and Ribbons - I would like to have WWII era ribbons/medals if I can.
    • Where is a reliable place to purchase these? I am OK (even happy) with used. They don't have to be New original (if that makes sense?).
    • The ribbons/medals I need are as follows: Good Conduct Ribbon, Asiatic-Pacific Service Medal (two bronze stars), American Campaign Medal, European African Middle East, American Defense Service (Foreign Service Clasp), Purple Heart
    3. Collar Insignia - He was infantry. I need the US and the rifles.
    • Where to get WWII era.
    4. 83rd Division Patch - Where to get? How to tell if it is WWII era?

Would I be best trying to get this A la carte or is there a dealer I can give the list to and let him do the leg work?

Thanks for any help!!!!

2. Cadillac

Cadillac Member

To be honest, I'd try eBay first. I've seen amazing examples of WWII-era militaria on there. Bay State Militaria is a great website on which to purchase original WWII medals and artifacts as well.

3. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

2 -- WorldWide Militaria Exchange Inc is a great retailer for "new" ribbons/medals. Occasionally they have NOS as well. I've bought NOS items from them before and have no complaints.

3 and 4 -- eBay is probably your best bet.

4. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Do some research first so you know what the period items should look like. We have a militaria section on the Forum which may be helpful. I know we've had members post pics of dog tags here and not necessarily in the militaria section. Try doing a search for "dog tags".

Regardless of where you decide to buy the item(s), make sure the seller explicitly and in writing offers a money back guaranty that the item is what they say it is. If they won't do that, then buy from someone else. On Ebay in particular, make sure you read all the fine print. Sellers can sometimes "seem" to be saying one thing in the listing, but the find print says something else.

I hope you will post a photo of the finished shadow box -- after Christmas, of course. ;)