Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

if Poland defence lines did't break?

Discussion in 'What If - European Theater - Eastern Front & Balka' started by MichalMag, Dec 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MichalMag

MichalMag recruit

Hi! If Polish soldiers defend theirs lines, what will Germans and Russians do?

In my opinion, first British soldiers will land in Poland to support small polish army, and then German's and Russians will attack the North Poland to exclude Poland from sea. Then Poland will be in the "circle". Then two big armies will attack polish lines, but what will be further? What do you think about it?

Sorey for my mistakes in English, I'm from Poland...

2. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Welcome to the forum MichalMag [​IMG]

I would say that had the Polish army held up their defenses and kept the Wehrmacht at bay, it may have given the French more confidence in at least bombarding Germany's Western border. Now whether or not they or Great Britain would have actually invaded, well I would say that they were in no mood to escalate to such a level.

As for the Russians, they would have stood aside and waited for the results. The Western allies were not privy to the secret agreements as for the partition of Poland so Russia could get out smelling like a Rose if Germany was pushed back. Good question

3. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

It is hard to imagine that Britain would send troops to Poland to fight the Nazis....I guess anything is possible but this just doesnt sound like something that Britain was prepared for.

4. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

This I would agree with. The only possibility would be for France to bombard Germany from the Maginot line. France did overestimate its own capabilities. But that would be the extent of their action.

5. MichalMag

MichalMag recruit

Yes, you're right. But we must remember, allied had tract, which told, when war start countries must help for attacked copuntries. Britsh and French army must one day land in Poland!

6. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Yes Britain and France signed the treaty with Poland to prevent another war. However unfortunately this only looked good on paper. Britain and France were in no shape to help Poland.......

7. TA152

TA152 Ace

I believe Russia and the Germans already divided up Poland ahead of the invasion by both countries. The Russians already knew they were going to kill as many of the officer corps as they could. Much like the UK, USA, and USSR divided up Europe before the war was won.

Also the way the USA took Japan after the war. The New Zealanders and Aussies got nothing as far as I know. The Russians just kept their few islands. Also the French got Indo-China back and the UK got Hong Kong back and perhaps other colonies.

After WWII was over did'nt Russian take away some of the pre war Polish ports ?

8. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I don´t think there were any real plans to send troops to Poland actually, and if you compare the situation with Finland there was three months time to send troops during the Winter War but none were sent. Some troops were ready but politically the situation was rather messy as both solutions brought big trouble ( send or do not send ).

Also which route would the forces take to Poland? Sweden could not let any through or Norway either due to political difficulties whch would appear with Germany.

Probably attacking Germany as fast as possible in the west would be the best solution.

Some maps on postwar situation etc:

http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/journal_of_cold_war_studies/v001/1.2snyder_fig05.html

9. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Actually landing troops in Poland would be a nightmarish escapade. The most effective method would be to land troops in France and have both the British and French attack Germany from the West thus involving Germany in a two front war. This would alleviate pressure from the Poles. Would Germany be able to fend off both sides. :confused: :confused: :confused:

10. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

I agree, this would probably be the best solution ( attacking Germany from the west ), however this would not have an affect on the Soviets which attacked Poland from the East.....

Unfortunately Poland's fait had been sealed before the war ever started.

11. Ironcross

Ironcross Dishonorably Discharged

If the Poles defend theirs lines, the Polish POW number would most likely become their death toll.
    Even if the the Poles can last two month fighting a two front war, the west still won't be able to lunch a full scale attack against Germany.

12. Miller

Miller Member

As hard as the Poles fought and as much respect I have for their bravery in September of 1939 there was just no way they were going to hold off the German onslaught. They were met with superior weaponry, tactics, commanders, and above all were taken completely by surprise.

13. chromeboomerang

chromeboomerang New Member

Hi Michal. I think this site has a scenario on that. Poland has exellent chocolate I must say. had some in Chicago.

http://members.aol.com/dalecoz/ww2main.htm

Here it is..
    http://members.aol.com/dalecoz/WW2_0298.htm

& some interesting data.

The French and English convinced the Poles not to mobilize until long after the Germans had completed their mobilization. When the invasion started, only one quarter of the Polish army was armed and in position. Another quarter of it had been mobilized but hadn't made it to the front lines. About one-third of the Polish army never even formed before the war was over.

Cavalry charges. Most people have the image of Polish cavalry charging with lances against German Panzers. The reality is quite different. Poland had a large cavalry force, but those cavalry used their horses for mobility. They fought dismounted and used anti-tank guns against German tanks. There was one incident where mounted Polish cavalry tangled with German tanks, but it was an accidental encounter that got blown out of proportion by Italian journalists.

Poland as a speed Bump for the Germans: The Polish campaign was fast for the Germans, but it was by no means easy. The Germans lost 285 aircraft and 279 more were badly enough damaged that they had to be written off. The Germans also had 674 tanks either destroyed or damaged badly enough that they had to be taken back to Germany to be repaired or rebuilt. In both categories, German losses were close to the total Polish inventory.

Polish tanks. The Poles were producing around 50 tanks per year--around five percent of the German rate. Most, if not all of those tanks were a light/medium (10 tons--37 mm gun) tank called the 7TP. It was based on the British 6-ton tank and was roughly equivalent to the Russian T26. The Poles had a tank force called the Bron Pancerna with 150 to 200 reasonably modern tanks plus about five hundred tankettes. That doesn't sound like very many, but it was reasonably comparable to what the United States or Britain had at the time.

The Poles were license-building a very good Swedish 37 mm anti-tank gun, and a reasonably modern 75 mm anti-aircraft gun. They were also license-building various other artillery pieces, along with ammunition for that artillery. A 155 mm long-range artillery piece had just started production when the war started. A Polish division had about two-thirds the artillery firepower that a German division did,

14. TA152

TA152 Ace

The part about the Cavalry charges was interesting. I never did think it sounded right and now I understand what went on and it makes more sense.

As a side note I was reading that about 25% of German artillery was mechininized and the other 75% was horse drawn. In the blitzgrieg movies the only show the fast movers. In the eastern front they ate the horses when things started going down the tubes. [​IMG]

15. chromeboomerang

chromeboomerang New Member

Yep. Us had the best jeeps & cranked out loads of trucks, but not great tanks The Germans were the opposite, great tanks & not enough trucks & support vehicles. Horses value should not be underestimated though.

Germany had fortunate timing against Poland, just before they had some good hardware put together.

16. RyanO'Dell

RyanO'Dell recruit

Germany still had the Blitzkreig tactic Even if Britain, And France sent soldiers to Poland, The Blitzkreig was still a new tactic, and the Allied forces didn't know much about it. They'd be completely unprepared and overpowered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.