Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

If the book Berlin Diary...

Discussion in 'ETO, MTO and the Eastern Front' started by brndirt1, Mar 8, 2012.

1. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

If the book Berlin Diary by William Shirer hasn't been read by any Rogue here, I just finished re-reading it and am struck by the insight he put forth at the time.

He didn't dwell on the Jewish problem, although he pointed out the problem of the Jews in Germany at the time. He also doesn't get into the Jew "relocation" system since it wasn't in effect at the time of his leaving Germany. He doesn't dwell the other eugenics policies of the time either, while still mentioning them as a "problem" without more than "rumor" as a basis and how he came to feel they were real. The T-4 killing of those "who were useless mouths" absorbing state money (mentally ill, disabled peoples).

His time in Europe during this tempestuous period (1934-Dec. 1940) is written at the time, in notes and such and later compiled into the book itself. Everyone interested in the period owes it to themselves to read this missive. It is eye-opening to say the least. Especially when read a second time after years of study of the Nazi state as it developed in Germany.

He (Shirer), makes some very harsh judgments upon the German psyche as it existed at the time, and some equally eye-opening opinions as to how a minority party could and did come to complete power in the German state. If you have read it before, read it again. If you have never read it, read it as soon as you can. I read it as a borrowed library book a few years after I had finished his opus The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, and rather put it aside in my own head as a minor work. When I re-read it the power of his own experiences came through much better than it did the first time.

The re-reading of this book was not only mind opening after a period of time, it gave me an insight into Europe of that time I had missed the first time through.

belasar likes this.
  2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I read it a good 18-20 years ago and it was a great read.

Hmmmmm now which book box is it in now?

3. belasar

belasar Court Jester Staff Member

I have read 'Rise' but not this, well gotta find it now....