Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

If you were a movie director, and were making a WWII film, what would it be about and why?

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by USS Washington, Jun 10, 2014.

1. USS Washington

USS Washington Active Member

My film would be a 2 part movie about the battle of the Coral sea and the battle of Midway, as I feel the former doesn't get the recognition it deserves, being the first naval battle in history where 2 opposing forces never came into direct contact with each other, and marking the first time a Japanese invasion attempt(the invasion of port moresby) had been thwarted, while the only movie that covers the latter, midway(1976), I feel could have been better, so I would try and correct the mistakes of that movie, such as omitting the pointless romance sub-plot, and not resort to the excessive use of stock footage and scenes from other movies, relying on CGI, practical effects, and WWII props to re-create the battle scenes, and of course, I would try to be as historically accurate as possible while still being entertaining. So what about the rest of you, what would your film be about?

bronk7 likes this.
  2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Battle of HMAS Perth and the USS Houston...the history of the two ships were very interesting...the battle awesome....the result heartbreaking yet inspiring.

USS Washington and belasar like this.
  3. 17thDYRCH

17thDYRCH recruit

The fiasco of the raid on Dieppe. Front and center, Lord LOOie Mountbatten along with the Canadian Generals who accepted a botched plan.

André7 likes this.
  4. green slime

green slime Member

5. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

I would like to see, granted there have been some who have covered this topic, on the Poland campaign and resistance movement. In the states I haven't seen many films covering the backdrop.

6. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

As always with me, The Battle Off Samar. I would sneak in a bit of Surigao Strait to get the movie started and add a smidge of Ozawa's sacrifice for historical context.

If not that, then agony of the USS Franklin off Japan in March of 1945

USS Washington likes this.
  7. Drew5233

Drew5233 Member

Dunkirk - without it the Germans would have won WW2.....Oh and there would be no Americans in it :lol:

8. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Mortain. This battle changed the course of the war. The finest US troops up against the finest German troops and the entire fight taking place in a very limited area over a limited time span - about 4 days. It would be easy to tell the story in a clear and straightforward manner because it's so well documented. There's no ambiguity or differing versions muddying the water, just a fight to the death between the US Infantry and the Waffen SS.

[​IMG]

USS Washington and Slipdigit like this.
  9. phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking Member

There was a two-parter a lot of years ago that took exactly this tack IIRC. Quite good as I remember...

My vote would be for Dunkirk too, even just a straight remake of the b&w John Mills/Bernard Mills/Richard Attenborough classic, one of THE best WWII movies ever made. The odds'n'sods encountering the RA battery in the woods vignette is unforgettable.

I've complained before....and always will...about the atrocious BBC docudrama three-parter of a few years ago, and Atomement was just sh1t.

I just hate to think how they'd be shoehorned in for the Hollywood dollars...

10. André7

André7 Active Member

Has been done just that way as a miniseries by John N. Smith.

James Leassor's book "Green Beach" has the qualities of action and suspense ( a real page turner). It has two strong central characters (Nissenthal and the Canadian sent to shadow him). Over the decades, several big stars have shown an interest in filming it, but nothing has come of it. It was either too expensive to shoot or the stars passed in the end and the production deals fell through.

11. Slipdigit

Well.....there were 50 US Rangers at Dieppe
    :p

12. André7

André7 Active Member

The story of Otto Skorzeny, warts and all.

Kai-Petri and O.M.A. like this.
  13. André7

André7 Active Member

Yes there were... So? Are you suggesting that a movie should be made focussing on the 50 Rangers who participated in a raid that involved roughly 1000 British Commandos and 5000 Canadian troops? That would be ... Interesting.

I would be curious to see the critical reaction to such a film.

Hopefully the movie would be made in Hollywood with major American stars... Directed by Rennie Harlin...

14. André7

André7 Active Member

Interesting post.
    Monte Cassino hasn't been done justice yet. According to IMDB there is a project in development.

15. Slipdigit

Not in the least. Phylo knows I'm just tugging his chain.

16. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

No Americans equals no American box office...50 sounds like an observation unit. I think seeing the situation from their eyes would give a new spin on it...and plenty of room for British and American rivallry...

17. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Sounds good Jeff. I think this would make a good film, depending on who was in it.

18. André7

André7 Active Member

Oh, Boy. CAC. Oh, boy!

19. André7

André7 Active Member

Now I REALLY want to see this movie made. Make sure it has a huge budget and lots of very expensive stars and a Big BIG première at Cannes (so it gets the reception it deserves).

20. USS Washington

USS Washington Active Member

Good choices, all of you, another battle I'd be interested in featuring in one of my movies would be the Battle of Arracourt, where an American armored regiment routed a German Tank army mostly comprising of factory-fresh Panthers, while the US forces mostly had 75 armed Shermans and M10 Tank destroyers that have been worn out from constant fighting during the allies drive through France, and won this fight through superior tactics, coordination, better use of the terrain, which shows that the above mentioned factors trump having better tanks.