Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

I'm thrilled...

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by LRusso216, Jul 18, 2009.

1. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

My family and I took a vacation this past week (son and wife, daughter and husband, 5 grandchildren and a friend of the oldest kid). We had a great time, but the biggest thrill came from what my 12 year old grandson told me. The all visited a restored Fire Control Tower from Fort Miles in Cape May, NJ. My wife and I visited it just after it opened in the spring. When they returned from climbing the tower and viewing the artifacts, my grandson pronounce it "a pretty cool place to visit". I have provided both of my children with medal won by their grandfather, and they are slowly sharing the information with their own children. While most of them are too young to understand the significance of his service, they are beginning to know a bit about a man who died long before they were born. Here is the thread I created with some photos of the tower. http://www.ww2f.com/wwii-today/32121-photos-local-ww2-restored-sites.html

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Good, Lou, keep it up.

3. Sentinel

Sentinel Member

It's great to see history recognised, and passed on to new generations. Well done!

4. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Well don Lou, keep on teaching "teach".

5. jemimas_special2

jemimas_special2 Shepherd

Thrilled indeed! Great story of your family outing... thank you for sharing Lou. I wish I could find a deck of playing cards like your picture posted :)

Mark

6. LRusso216

7. jemimas_special2

jemimas_special2 Shepherd

Lou,

Much obliged my friend! great links. My wish has been granted... thanks for the crutch 'teach' :) :)

Mark

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Lou, glad to hear you had a niv=ce vacation as well as being a teacher of sorts. I have no salute and such to give you yet but will accommodate when possible ;-))

Cheers-Rootbeers and Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches ;-))

9. LRusso216

Good to hear from you, Carl. We had a lovely vacation, but I'm still exhausted from chasing after the grandkids.

When we got home yesterday, neither my wife or I felt like cooking, so cheese steaks it was. I had an Italiano style - fried onions, roasted peppers and provolone cheese. Good stuff.

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Lou, your killing me Sir ;-)) I have yet to eat supper and im starting to starve ;-)) If you ever make it in my neck of the woods? i'll buy you and your wife a Youngs Pizza Texicali and a Patootie. Both dishes go perfectly together and are absolutely :yum: :yum:

If we can't make it down to Kingsville (where Youngs Pizza is located) or over to Austin (where a cloned version of a Texicali is served) then we would have to go to San Antonio and go to Maggies or In Old San Francisco ;-))

11. jaynelea1

jaynelea1 Member

Not sure how to salute, but I think this is lovely and also a very important thing to learn.

12. LRusso216

Salutes are easy. Just look in the lower right corner of the post you wish to salute. It has an "S" and a picture of a soldier saluting. Just click on that and the salute is registered.

Don't hesitate to ask questions if you don't know how to do something.

13. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

Note that salutes can only be given for up to 90 days after a post is made. The option is not presented for older posts.