Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Imperial Japanese Army Paratroopers During WWII

Discussion in 'Japanese WWII Uniforms and Equipment' started by Jim, Oct 20, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Jim

Jim Active Member

via War44
    Paratrooper in training, 1941

He wears the lightweight one-piece jump suit with integral cloth belt, a large slanted zip-fastened pocket on the left chest only, and elasticated cuffs and ankles; rank patches were sometimes displayed on the collar. The helmet, of cloth-covered rubber, bears the universal IJA insignia of a yellow five-point star. The ankle boots are slightly higher versions of the standard issue, with seven rather than five pairs of eyelets; unlined leather summer-issue aircrew gloves were also worn. He wears the Type 1 (1941) parachute, without a chest reserve pack.

[​IMG]

Paratrooper, 2nd Raiding Regiment; Palembang operation, February 1942.

The cloth-covered steel jump helmet was worn on operations. The IJA tested a sleeveless jump smock, with long zipped vents up the sides, but for operations they adopted this long-sleeved version without vents. Clearly modelled on that of the German Fallschirmsjager, it was worn over the personal equipment and standard field uniforms complete with long puttees. For this attack the reserve pack was worn on the chest harness; for other operations it was discarded, since the low-altitude jumps would not have allowed time for its deployment, and weapon or equipment packs were attached instead.

[​IMG]

Paratroop officer on operations, 1942

This illustrates the back of the Type 1 parachute pack as worn. Some officers displayed a white disc on the back of the helmet for quick identification in combat.

[​IMG]

Japanese Paratrooper Insignia WWII
    Insignia were rarely worn on the smock, and only occasionally even when on home service. The IJA parachute qualification “wings” badge, instituted in September 1941, was the Golden Kite (Kinshi Kunsho), the messenger of the gods which legend says hovered over the battlefield dazzling the Emperor Jimmu Tenno’s enemies with its golden wings. It was worn centred on the upper right sleeve. The red insignia of the 1st Raiding Brigade (later, Group) might be worn on the left sleeve.

Japanese Golden Kite Badge WWII

[​IMG]

Japanese 1st Raiding Brigade Badge WWII

[​IMG]

2. AzraelValley

AzraelValley New Member

via War44
    This is the first time I'm hearing about this. My grandfather used to about it, but I haven't seen pictures so it is too hard to relate to it. I’m glad you have some pictures to show.