Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Important Bookmark!

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Tom phpbb3, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Tom phpbb3

Tom phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well, this is sort of a reference work!?

I stumbled across this the other night, and Christian is again to be congratulated. He has started a WWII links page. Take a look. If there's anything missing, he has a quick little form on the page that will allow you to send him URLs. I've already sent three!

http://www.wwiild.com/

This could be the one stop place for finding all the things we need!

2. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Nice find Tom. That's going to be really useful.

3. Tom phpbb3

Tom phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Aye, especially once he starts getting more input! There are scads more links than most of us are aware of, so collecting them like that is a major service!

4. Tom phpbb3

Tom phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    <bump>

I found a 3-yr old link directory that I had printed off, and it's a good thing,too. The site doesn't exist anymore! Last night, I sent Christian over 60 links, and I still have a bunch more from WWII to send him. I have to make sure they're valid, first.

He is also thinking about doing the same thing for post-WWII links. The list I have is about 47 pages long. If I get him all those links, he may well end up with the best link directory on the web for us military history nuts!

I'm all for links pages on all these forums, but I also think that a "central directory" is a good idea. I encourage everyone to send him links that you've found useful so he can include them. Just WWII for now, but that may well change soon.

I strongly encourage all of you to send him all your good* research links. We all use a lot, and we don't all use the same ones. Share the wealth!

*good as in active, good as in worth the effort! :D

5. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Would he include forums in his links? I know of a few that have members with excellent knowledge in various fields...

6. Tom phpbb3

Tom phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Ricky, I don't think he has any forums listed on their yet, but he might if it were presented to him.

Since he is a member here, you could always PM him if he doesn't answer this within the next day or so.

http://www.fun-online.sk/forum/profile. ... file&u=204

Lord knows, there are enough WWII forums out there! Some almost as good as this one! (How's that for sucking up?! :lol: )

7. Christian Ankerstjerne

Christian Ankerstjerne Member

via TanksinWW2
    I have thought about including forums, but most are directly related to a website (such as this forum, AHF, Missing-Lynx and others), and thus it would be redundant to both include the site and the forum.

Still, if there's a general interest, it is something I'd consider.

8. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    How about tgplanes.com - the website is a little basic (but being upgraded whenever the Admin guy can find the time) but the forum is really very knowlegable. They can even spell better than wot I kan.

btw - an apology to you Christian - I just realised that I asked Tom about what you were doing rather than just ask you! :oops:

For the record, I am with Tom on this; a great idea and a good service to provide. Have you thought about providing a raing for each website, or maybe having a method of peer review?

9. Christian Ankerstjerne

Christian Ankerstjerne Member

via TanksinWW2
    I added the link to the link to the database - a really nice resource for certain!

I'm considering making a rating system, but it's still too early to tell whether it's something I'll implement.