Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Inauguration of Bomber Command Memorial in London

Discussion in 'Post War 1945-1955' started by Ron Goldstein, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein WWII Veteran

28th June 2012

Now back home after attending the unveiling of the Bomber Command Memorial and I rush to make a report while the memories of the day are still fresh.

Got to the site on the stroke of 10 am and have got to give credit to the organisers as they had the traffic scene pretty well tied up so that everyone had to approach from the Buckingham Palace end of Constitution Hill and we were supplied with a window sticker that allowed us access.

Plenty of airport type security but once we were on to the site it was straight to a tea marquee where light refreshments were on tap and there were plenty of Air Force staff to assist in any way required.

Nita & I got chatting to a very friendly Wing Captain David Manning from 99 Squadron based at Bryce Norton and we were given an insight into the RAF of today.

By 11:00 we were in our allotted seats with a pretty good view of proceedings and by 12:00 all the Royals were in place.

There was a first class speech by the Chief of Air Staff, Sir Stephen Dalton and the appreciative audience applauded.

The Lancaster Poppy Drop I'm afraid was a complete fiasco with the poppy's being showered on the streets, I would estimate, of Holborn a few miles away and I was hard pushed to get a quick snap as it roared overhead.

Top marks however to the very helpful RAF members who were everywhere that help was needed by the oldies in the audience. I was very amused at the young woman pilot who was helping to dish out cold water as we sweltered under the midday sun

My thoughts on the day ?...... I thought it was very well done, albeit sixty odd years too late, but nevertheless infinitely welcome in it's final achievement.

Attached Files:

2. Carronade

Carronade Ace

The Lancaster Poppy Drop I'm afraid was a complete fiasco with the poppy's being showered on the streets, I would estimate, of Holborn a few miles away

I suppose they'll have to try area poppy dropping!

3. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

No pathfinders then?!

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

In 1944 they used to srop flares before dropping the cargo :D. The poppy dropping was but a detail. I love the monument itself for a start. As Ron said, better late than never, especially nowadays when some idiots dared to oppose the very matter. I did not wait for a monument to thank those brave bomber boys, but now that it's there, it's just gorgious and a perpetual reminder of their sacrifice.

5. Clementine

Clementine Member

Thank you for posting this and for sharing your thoughts on the day.

My grandfather, my mother's father, served with the RAF and was shot down and killed on 10 March 1942. I hope to be able to see this for myself some time, but appreciate seeing it through other people's eyes until then.

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Good show, Ron. I'm glad you reported on this. Nice to read the impressions of one who went through it.

7. Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein WWII Veteran

Clementine

When you can get to the site you will not be disappointed.

Overdue, very late but brilliant in it's concept.

Lest we forget !

Ron
    In memory of a brother

8. JonathanBall39

JonathanBall39 Member

Absolutely. The sculptures really are 1st class in detail. What is particularly moving are the messages and flowers from the relatives which are left at the base of the sculpture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

If the poppies were off target and caused some in the area to ask what they were dropping these for..then I'd say they have done a good job at targeting on this occasion.

Watching it live on tv at the time, I was impressed with one of the vets basically giving his two penneth worth to the politicians. I must admit to cheering him wildly and the mrs thinking I was having a fit.

JonathanBall39 likes this.