Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Incorrect information on John Ware RAF Vol reserve - can this be changed?

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by GrahamT, Nov 10, 2018.

  1. GrahamT

    GrahamT New Member

    Nov 10, 2018
    Likes Received:

    My Nan’s brother John Alfred Ronald Ware 1315385 was a sergeant in he Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve and died in a training accident off of Stornaway in March 1943. On all websites where I have managed to find him online, have his DOB is listed as 1912 and/or his age listed as 31. However, this is incorrect as he was actually born in 1921. All information on the attachment is correct (his parents listed are my great grandparents) but his age and DOB are incorrect. I assume 1921 was at one point officially misput as 1912 and never corrected.

    Is this usual? Can this be corrected? I have birth certificates etc that prove he was born in 1921 (and if one was to search his parents they would find they were born in 1898 and 1900 so too young to have him in 1912).

    Attached Files:

  2. von Poop

    von Poop Waspish WW2|ORG Editor

    Apr 21, 2006
    Likes Received:
    Perfidious Albion
    Hello, Graham, welcome aboard.
    I'm guessing this error is mostly persistent as the wrong details are retained on his CWGC entry? (whether the error by them, or an earlier clerk, who knows).
    Casualty - ohn Alfred Ronald Ware
    The CWGC certainly seem amenable to corrections, though their wheels can grind quite slowly.

    There is a gent called Chris Harley who runs the 'In from the cold' project, getting missing chaps added to CWGC records. He has long experience of dealing with the CWGC & may be able to at least point you at the right contact for this sort of thing. Appreciate that he's remembered, if inaccurately, but there are also a few other chaps on this place's sister forum that have some practical experience of such things. Might be worth an ask.

    WW2Talk - Non-Commemorated War Dead
  3. Owen

    Owen O

    May 14, 2006
    Likes Received:
    Contact the CWGC & send them a copy of his birth certificate .

Share This Page