Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Individual Deceased Personnel File

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by kerrd5, Sep 18, 2011.

1. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Clementine, have you tried doing a search on the American Battle Monuments Commission website?

As for length of time to get an IDPF, I waited a total of 4 months which I believe is typical.

2. TD-Tommy776

Okay. Never mind, Clementine. I found his name in your 608th thread and got nothing. Then it dawned on me that he wasn't buried overseas, they just don't know where he was buried in the USA. The IDPF may not tell you what cemetery he was buried in, but it will likely tell you who received his remains. This will probably be a funeral home in or near his home town. If you know his home town, you could try the local newspaper or historical society. If it's a small town, his death would have been a prominent story in the news at the time. I hope that helps.

3. 36thID

36thID Member

In this file I got copies of all letters exchanged between my grandpa and grandma. The last contained the final details of how, when, and where he was laid to rest. I hope this points to where this hero was laid to rest.

4. Clementine

Clementine Member

His family said he was buried in Europe, but don't know where. Actually, his nephew told me that, maybe he just never tried to find out and assumed he was buried in Europe. But they are from a small community near Boston, and the young man's mother and father are buried in the local cemetery, so I am sure they would have buried him there if they'd brought him home. I would think the nephew would know if his uncle were buried in the local cemetery, but who knows. I will ask Wallace's sister and see what she says.

Thanks.

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

6. TD-Tommy776

I did a couple of searches and found some indication that he was born in Vermont, possibly Sherman. I tried searching for that town name but came up with nothing. Either it is so small as to not be on the radar screen, or it doesn't exist anymore. On the other hand, I did find him on the NARA casualty list for Worcester County, MA.

7. Clementine

Clementine Member

That is him. I found him on the casualty list, as well, he was born in Vermont but his family moved to Athol, MA when he was very young. I contacted his local library genealogy department and they are the ones who put me in contact with his family - his namesake, as a matter of fact. The family still lives there and that is where his parents are and a number of his siblings (he had 11 siblings, two are living) are buried.

8. TD-Tommy776

It does seem that the IDPF may be your best bet for locating where he was buried, Clementine. Though, I have found that just getting the family to start talking about it sometimes yields results. That's how I got a couple of pre-War photos of my great uncles.

9. Earthican

Earthican Member

Just reviewed an IDPF here:
    (PDF link near the bottom)
    http://home.comcast.net/~bormesport/site/?/page/Francis_F_Lazorick/

If one does not mind a little sadness, it is worth reviewing the settlement of affairs required by the next of kin.

TD-Tommy776 likes this.
  10. TD-Tommy776

Thanks for sharing that, E.

And thanks for the subtle updating of this thread. ;)

11. TD-Tommy776

I finally got a chance to read through the IDPF and some of the letters on the website that Earthican posted. It's interesting to see how the military's account of SSgt Lazorick's death varies from that related by his Army buddy. The author of the website (Paul K?) suggests that the buddy was being kind. That may be, but the rest of his letter dated 22 Aug 1946 gave some rather brutal accounts of how his other buddies were killed. Also, his story doesn't seem to fit with Frank being considered MIA for a month. I wonder if he was just confused about what happened and maybe mixed up Frank's demise with that of another friend.

As E. said, it is a sad tale, though I'm sure every IDPF has a sad story to tell. However, they also can provide information for those doing WWII research that may otherwise be difficult or expensive to find.

12. Clementine

Clementine Member

I just read through the information on SSgt Lazorick, including his letters. That's what really gets me, so see that personal touch, the writing, and to read the personal thoughts and feelings.

The website author said he didn't know why he was obsessed with finding out about his great-uncle, SSgt Lazorick, but he felt like he shouldn't be forgotten. And he's so right.

I veered off the course I was on when I looked up this thread, but I'm glad I did. Thanks for posting, Earthican.

I have a question and hoped someone would know. I've been searching through the NARA, but haven't been able to find what I need.

I'd like to file for an IDPF (or equivalent) for someone who served in the Navy. When I did a simple internet search for IDPF and deceased Navy personnel, it came up with the contact information listed above, but I assume that is just Army files.

Does anyone know about Navy files? (The person I'm looking for was a POW and died in captivity, if that makes a difference. I found files listing my person's name, SN and the date and location of his death, but not any kind of information on requesting his file.)

13. TD-Tommy776

14. Clementine

Clementine Member

Wow - I feel like such a slacker when I see what you've come up with. I did find a couple of those links but certainly not all. I will check them out.

Thanks, Tommy!

15. TD-Tommy776

I didn't have enough time last night to check out all the links on the various websites, so I hope at least some of them are helpful.

16. Clementine

Clementine Member

I just looked at them briefly but won't have time to look at them in depth myself until the weekend. I will share any information I might find to help the next person.

I appreciate your help.

17. mcoffee

mcoffee Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

The Human Resources Command is now uploading scanned IDPFs to a secure server rather than mailing them on a CD.

I made a FOIA request for an IDPF on 11/19, received an acknowledgement on 12/2 (with a statment that it could take up to 48 weeks) and received notification that the IDPF was available for download on 12/4. The IDPF relates to the thread below, and I had been working with a contact at the Past Conflicts Repatriation Branch which may account for the quick turn-around.

http://www.ww2f.com/topic/51024-b-24-wreck-in-the-adriatic-identified/

18. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

By coincidence, the HRC informed me yesterday that the IDPF I requested in early Feb. was available

To mcoffee, the HRC has been transmitting the files through a secure server for over a year now.

Dave

19. Earthican

Earthican Member

IDPF contact info updated

https://www.hrc.army.mil/staff/Freedom%20of%20Information%20and%20Privacy%20Act%20Requests

TD-Tommy776 likes this.
  20. TD-Tommy776

I sent an IDPF request using the above email address over 2 weeks ago and have received no acknowledgement that it was received. I'm sure they are busy, but I think 2+ weeks to acknowledge an email is a bit silly. I sent a follow up email requesting some acknowledgement. I think I may send a request snail mail if I don't hear something by the end of the week.

Has anyone else received a response after submitting a request via the new email address?