Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Inexpensive diecast models

Discussion in 'Modelling' started by mott5ranch, Sep 28, 2002.

1. mott5ranch

mott5ranch Member

I have always enjoyed models since I was a kid. However, now that I'm older and my hands have fingers like sausages it is impossible for me to assemble them any more, so I buy my models already put together. I like the diecast ones best. I don't pursue these, but if I come across one I like, well I just get it, like these. I hope you like them.
    [​IMG]

2. mott5ranch

mott5ranch Member

Here is another diecast model. I know these are not the same as the kits that take skill, patience, and know how. I wish I could do those, but these look good in the display case with the other items as an accent piece.
    [​IMG]

3. mott5ranch

mott5ranch Member

Here is a German Me-109 in scale with the others. It reminds me of a little Porsche or BMW against an ole Ford or Dodge sedan in the first two pictures. Like I said, they are not in the serious model builder league, but they are fun, simple, and enjoyable. They are also a great learning tool for my 8 year old and it is no big deal if he drops one. I hope you like my simple WW2 models. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Nice stuff, Mott.

I'm with you on the diecasts - I have to restrain myself from over-spending on the Corgi Aviation Archive range. Their Mosquito FBVI is :cool: !

Don't get me wrong - I love plastic kits but I just can't stop them getting broken ! Also, the Corgis are limited editions and there's always an aftermarket for them........ ;)

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Great models. I would collect them if my already stretched too thin money--wasnt stretched as badly as it now is. :(

Either way--I love my Ek and pilots badge whereever they can be pictured. [​IMG]

6. Martin Bull

I've been casting covetous eyes on the giant Corgi diecast 1/72 Lancaster all year but really couldn't justify the ninety--pounds price-tag :eek: .

But ebay has to be good for something - I just 'won' a Lanc for twenty pounds ( minus tailfins and two props which I've easily replaced from an old Airfix kit ).

Hey presto ! A gorgeous ( and virtually unbreakable ) display item for a 'saving' of seventy pounds.... :cool:

Now - if they don't do a 'Dambuster' for the sixtieth Anniversary, Corgi will really be missing a trick ! ;)

[ 17. November 2002, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Martin Bull ]

7. Erich Hartmann

Erich Hartmann Member

Strongly disagree. Die-cast, while taking a lot of the "pain" out of the plastic modeling world, has also improved much over the las few years. This applies to both cars AND aircraft. However, IHMO, there is much that is lost in not initiating a full blown plastic kit project. Its a craft that is all too often overlooked these days, requiring great skill and precision. Also, you have the luxury of choosing a paint scheme, theatre, etc........

8. Martin Bull

You're quite right - I just get lazy sometimes ! ;)

To attempt to redeem myself, you'll see on another thread that I've just got ahold of a 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster which is definitely a long-term lets-think-about-it project !

By the way, can I say welcome back Erich Hartmann ? We don't see enough of you around here lately, Sir ! :cool:

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

EH good to see you around again !

I've got to ask the obvious being anon-modeler......what is simply die-cast ? Is it all one piece or shell for a fuselage, wings, tail as an example ?

E

10. Martin Bull

'Die-cast' ( to be accurate, should be 'die-cast metal' ), that is, solid cast white metal. So the Corgi Lancaster, for instance, is very heavy !

The others usually referred to are 'injection-moulded' kits ; these are the more familiar glue-together plastic kits ( eg Revell, Tamiya, etc ).

Less common are 'vac-forms' ( 'vacuum-formed plastic' ) which tend to be privately produced, very limited run 'kits'. The parts appear as 'bubbles' in a sheet of plastic and have to be carefully cut out. These kits are good for making available lesser-known aircraft types ( eg Avro Manchester ).

OK - class is out ! ;) :D