Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Info Request: Cecil Wayne Rodgers, Battery C 550th Field Artillery

Discussion in 'Those Who Served' started by Amanda Swan, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Amanda Swan

Amanda Swan New Member

Hello everyone!

I would deeply appreciate any assistance or tools/resources to help me find out more about my Great Uncle Wayne's service. The only information I have about his unit is from his headstone application and I have found a 550th tied to the 17th Airborne and 30th Field Artillery. The 30th Field Artillery makes the most logical sense as they're both designated as Field Artillery and was activated at Camp Roberts in California, which is also the state where my Uncle Wayne resided.

Uncle Wayne never married and while he made it home from the war, it never left him and he tragically ended his life in 1951. All of his siblings have passed and as he never married or had kids, any stories or records of his service the family had are now also gone. All paper records of the family were lost in the 2017 Camp Fire that hit Sonoma County, CA. I have one surviving family member who remembers Wayne, but he was very young when Wayne passed and just remembers him as a kind, happy guy. I really want to do all I can to honor Wayne's service and sacrifice. I have requested discharge documents, but due to the pandemic, it may be a very long time before I receive them. As a studying historian, I would love to know what he did in the war and where he served.

Other relatable information I have is regarding his 3 brothers who also served, but this information is also scant. Gerald Rodgers was a Coxswain in the Navy (and introduced his youngest sister, my grandmother, to my grandfather Robert 'Dennie' Swan who was also in the Navy); and I believe his other two brothers, Elmer Lyle Rodgers (went by Lyle) and Coleman Clay Rodgers (went by Clay) were in the Army but am not positive.

If anyone has any information or resources I could use, I would greatly appreciate it! Cecil Wayne Rodgers Draft Card.jpg Cecil Wayne Rodgers Headstone Application.jpg