Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Info Request: US Army Master Sergeant William Wayne Hoyle 02903417

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Tipnring, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Tipnring

Tipnring Active Member

Looking for any info on my Grandfather's service in WWII.
    He was a Master Sergeant US Army. At one time he was stationed at Ft. Benning.
    I don't think he served overseas. I remember my grandmother telling me they were stationed up north,
    (maybe Illinois) where they had German POW's that came around & shoveled coal for the furnaces at their house on base.

US Army William Wayne Hoyle Service number 02903417
    Enlist Date 01-22-1940. He was born on Dec. 19th 1901.

William W Hoyle : U.S. Army Enlistment Record

I haven't sent off a request to NARA yet.

Thanks for your help.

Tip

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  2. Tipnring

Tipnring Active Member

My sister sent me a photo of my Dad, PFC. Billy Lamar Hoyle & my Grandfather Master Sergeant William Wayne Hoyle.
    The back of the photo states Summer 1944 & Master Sergeant William Wayne Hoyle 1st Parachute Training Regt., Ft. Benning, Ga.

Can someone identify the division patch on his arm? I know the photo is blurred.

fullsizeoutput_312.jpeg 20190822_161136.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I don't know about the birth date. You say 1901, but the electronic resource has a birth date of 1892. I found a draft card for William W. Hoyle of Georgia with a birth date of 1918.
    [​IMG]

4. Tipnring

Tipnring Active Member

Thanks, this Hoyle is not related to us that we know of. He had a different father & mother.

W. Wayne Hoyle, Jr (1918-1974) - Find A Grave...

My Grandfather was born Dec. 19th 1901 & Died in 1982. His service # 2903417 was written on the back of a photo we have.

record-image_undefined-22.jpg

This document says he was born on Dec. 19, 1902 although that might be an error. I know that the 1892 birth year on the electronic record is an error. It also states something about Enlistment for Alaska, not sure what that was about. Enlistment date: 01-22-1940

William W Hoyle : U.S. Army Enlistment Record

Thanks for checking for me. I do appreciate your help.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  5. Tipnring

Tipnring Active Member

It looks like the patch might be the WWII US Army Airborne Command Patch.

WAC_1-1024x1024.jpg 20190822_161136.jpg fullsizeoutput_315.jpeg
    I found this info:
    Germany’s use of airborne forces in the conquest of Europe in 1940-41 introduced a new age of warfare. An age where paratroopers and glider troops descended from the clouds onto the heads of their enemies.

In response to German battlefield success, the U.S. organized a Parachute Test Platoon at Fort Benning, Georgia, in June 1940. The idea was to test the concept of vertical envelopment.

Under the command of Lieutenant William T. Ryder, the Airborne Test Platoon proved that American infantry soldiers could jump into battle and win. The forty-eight man Airborne Test Platoon grew into several airborne divisions made up of hundreds of thousands of volunteers by 1944.

In October 1940, the 501st Parachute Infantry Battalion was activated at Fort Benning. By late 1942, airborne divisions were formed with parachute and glider infantry, engineers, artillery, medics, military police, and logistic soldiers. Five airborne divisions were established during the war.

Credit for the article:
    An Introduction to the US Army Airborne

About the author:

Oto holds a BS in History from Oregon State University and a MMA in Military History from American Public University. He served three tours in Iraq and Afghanistan as a Company Commander and Staff Trainer to the Afghan National Army. He was wounded once and decorated three times. Oto is an Infantry Lieutenant Colonel in the Army Reserve.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    TD-Tommy776 likes this.