Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

information regarding air crash 1942 secret mission

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by chaz, May 29, 2011.

1. chaz

chaz Member

recently acquired a medal group to a Flying Officer who enlisted into the RCAF in July 1941. he was subsequantly transferred to England March 1942. He ended up being killed in an accident about 10 miles from where I live and is burried in a small CWGC area of Bath Haycombe Cemetary date of death November 1942.
    from research I have carried out it seems he was testing out the very first generation of G Suits, consequently resulting into todays pilots suits and astronauts suits.

my question is this was top secret work in its day, yet he had only been in the RAF at war for 8 months , I know earlier on in the war mortality was expected of Hurricane pilots during the battle of Britain, and later war years BomberCommand took the flak. why would he have been on top secret work after only 8 months active service?

2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Just a guess on my part but his previous experiences or education may have played a role.

3. chaz

chaz Member

sorry for the delay, hospital visit again....
    the pilots previous occupation was a shipping clerk, prior to that he had his own logging company for a couple of years. education was only first two matriculations. nothing senior..