Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Insignias, badges, medals and clasps

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by ilpotatoes@mac.com, Oct 23, 2008.

Tags:
  1. ilpotatoes@mac.com

ilpotatoes@mac.com recruit

Note of moderation:

I noticed and excessive amount of small threads about one single militaria objets were blossoming on the forum. Therefore
    THIS THREAD IS REGROUPING SOME OF YOUR MEALS , CLASPS, BADGES, INSIGNIAS and RECALLS a bit like the "newest miliaria thread or the Adria helmet one. By putting your information here you will ge tmor ereaders and answers.

ps: I have removed a few irrelevant comments (like the ones which say "ok" or "thank you" for every single post and the ones that are not informative )

What are the 3 ribbons on the bottom row? Please take a look at the attachment...

Attached Files:

ProsEvotvof likes this.
  2. James777

James777 Member

I looked for quite a while on military decoration sites.I didnt see anything like them , not the bottem row of 3.The red and yellow one looks vaguely like a National Defense ribbon but its not i dont think , slightly different.
    I bet C.Evans or JFaulkenerlll might know.

3. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Don't know offhand. But Ill have a look see. IMO they are probably foreign medal award ribbons

4. James777

James777 Member

I was thinking along those lines too JCFlll , i think your right.It was an official awards site i was on and i looked pretty good.Checked a few sites , nothing like them.
    Just that red and yellow one is bothersome , it resembles a few US ribbons but it isnt any of them.

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi James, thanks for the vote of confidence but-i'm not acquainted much on American awards. I can ID a few of the ribbons-but not the ones you need ;-)) Now if these were German??? that would be a different story.

Take care-_C.

6. James777

James777 Member

Im thinking JCFlll is correct in that they are foreign awards , they might even be WW1 awards but i seriously have doubts if they are American ribbons.Its just that red and yellow one , it keeps taking me back to American awards , the colours are right but not exactly right.

7. armenius25

armenius25 recruit

Attached Files:

8. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

a side view would help too,if poss...and any markings on ring..from the pics shown,NO! I dont like it,all wrong,bad casting..

9. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

The edges do not look 'sharp' enough - but the clincher is probably whether a ring-stamp is present ; suspiciously not visible in the photos.....

10. Mr. S

Mr. S Member

Hi armenius25, I am with sniper on the cross. It might be an idea to ask the seller for good in focus pics. That said the ring and suspension ring along with the frame look odd.
    As with the iron portion where the paint is chipped off.
    There are plenty of these around, so getting a good cross wont be difficult.

kind regards John

11. stewy

stewy Member

Sorry,this EK's a poor copy. Several points are not as they should be:(. Stewy

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

One thing I can tell you, is that the ribbon is original ;-)) So it's worth at least $10-$15 bucks. A couple of the crosses arms look a bit crooked.

As for marks in the ring-not all EKs have marks on its ring. In fact, most of my EKIIs don't have makers marks-and I don't go out of my way to get an EK because of said ring marks. In fact, I am on the verge of another trade deal-possibly? that might net me another 1939 EKII with no makers markings. At worst, that cross IF it did turn out to be real? your looking at a $65.00 piece. At best it would be $100.00. Too many of them "out there" and I know many sites you can get these from for $65 on up.

13. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I confirm Carl's postion. Mine was found after the Battle in 1944 and given to me for a Christmas by a relative, so I'm 100% certain it's authentic and still it has no maker marks on the ring either. So, an epmty ring does not mean it's fake. However before making a statement, I might need to see more pictures. Some details bother me, but they could be because of the angle the pictures were taken. A scan would be even better than a picture.

14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

An additional bit. On closer looking, it looks like it/s made of "White Metal" which is very brittle and easy to break. So if you want to try some sort of a "bend test" you might crack that sucker in half while doing so. The paint job is also horrible.

15. stewy

stewy Member

Another one. These always seem better in hand than pics. Stewy

Attached Files:

16. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

This is a really nice one. Most of the ones I have seen lately have badly fadedribbons with them. This is one i still have not picked up one of yet. Same goes for all three Flower Wars medals.

17. fischer

fischer Member

Nice one Mate...Here is my example.

Best Regards, fischer

18. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Great ones chaps, if you want great quality medal pics, just put them in your scanner at 600 dp , the results are much better than a camera

19. Mr. S

Mr. S Member

Hi everybody,
    I thought I would post my close combat clasp in bronze by JFS
    The workmanship on this is just something else. I could get addicted to these awards.
    Its got all of its dark bronze finish on the obverse with very little blemishes on the reverse.
    There is still a little blueing on the backing plate left too.
    Would this be from the initial casting process? Just a thought as this is my first one.

regards John :D

Attached Files:

C.Evans likes this.
  20. stewy

stewy Member

John,some makers used blue back plates. But yours looks like heat damage "bluing". Nothing to worry about though,it doesn't look repaired. Possibly from when it was cut? Stewy