Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Insignias, badges, medals and clasps

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by ilpotatoes@mac.com, Oct 23, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Hobbsh1

Hobbsh1 Member

From what I can tell, top to bottom, left to right:
    Top badge is a Combat Infantry Badge
    1. Silver Star
    2. Bronze Star
    3. Purple Heart
    4. Army Good Conduct Medal
    5. American Defense Service Medal
    6. American Campaign Medal
    7. European-African-Mid Eastern Campaign Medal (2 Arrow Head devices, from what I have read only one device per campaign medal is authorized and they are upside down, point should be facing up, but I may be reading it wrong and the siver star and bronze star devices indicate 9 awards of this campaign medal)
    8. WW II Victory Medal
    9. Croix de Guerre (France)
    10. Croix de Guerre (Belgium) I think this one and number 9 are in the wrong order, not sure though.
    11. Civil Air Patrol WWII - Wartime Service Ribbon (Civilian Volunteer organization for Search and Rescue formed in December 1, 1941 by Administrative Order 9, issued by Fiorello H. LaGuardia in his capacity as Director of the Office of Civilian Defense with Major General John F. Curry as the first National Commander. For more info: www.gocivilairpatrol.com )
    12. Colorado NG State Achievement Ribbon
    13. Order of the American Legion
    14. I don't know.... I have seen it before, but for the life of me I can't find it again. I will continue to search for you.
    15. This one could be one of three, Phillipine Campaign Medal (1899-1906) N/MC(1908-1913), American Typhus Commision Medal (1942) or Puerto Rico NG Distinguished Service Medal.
    Badge at the bottom is a Sharpshooter's badge, the weapon used to qualify for this badge would be listed hanging on a tab below.

After the WW II Victory Medal, I believe they are a little out of order and if number 11: Civil Air Patrol WWII - Wartime Service Medal is correct, it is not supposed to be worn in a military uniform unless that member is a member of the Civil Air Patrol and the jacket they are pinned on does not look like a Civil Air Patrol uniform jacket.

2. apollo

apollo recruit

hi i have a german dadge,anyone can help to verify what it is?

3. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

apollo, you will need to post some photos

4. LauraG

LauraG recruit

Wondering if anyone would be able to tell me what this badge is, why it might have been given, trying to find out more about my greatgrandfather, he recived this, all that was gicen to my grandmother was a tinbox with a few medals. Any information would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

5. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

If you have some pictures that would make it easier to identify. Go ahead and start a new thread devoted to identifying them.

Welcome aboard,

Brad

Edit: The picture just popped up.

Was your Grandfather in the Navy or was he in a band?

6. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

Definitely something to do with a military band, and although almost all nations use the Lyre device, the style appears closest to the US style. Haven't yet been able to find one with a number on in the same style - do you have an idea what area your great grandfather grew up in or lived - it may possibly give a clue as to the exact unit?

These guys may be able to help;

http://www.imms-online.org/

7. LauraG

LauraG recruit

Attached Files:

8. formerjughead

The first badge may have something to do with Recruiting. Recruiting duty is often referred to as "harp duty" and that reference goes way back.

9. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

From what I could find that's 'Hometown Area Recruiting Program', but that could easily be a 'Backronym'. The badge seems more of a lyre than a harp - I guess there could be a connection between recruiting and bandsmen.

I found no other similarly numbered badges - Best guess I have at the moment would be 6th Infantry Divisional band, but that's just a shot in the dark.

10. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

11. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

formerjughead likes this.
  12. formerjughead

Actually the connection goe back a few thousand more years than that; back to Orpheus who is said to have been able to charm: Men, fish, birds and even wild beasts with the music from his lyre. Any who, it's not hard to draw the similarities between a harp and a lyre when you interject the simplicity of the US (i.e. Croisandswich), and the ability to beguile is a trait of military recruiters.

Anyway that's why it's always good to double down when you're not sure.

13. gunbunnyb/3/75FA

gunbunnyb/3/75FA Member

hi just saw this posting,the red and yellow is def. the nat.defence, the green and blue under the red and olive ribbon is from the us american legion, not sure about the middle one possible a state award

14. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

15. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

One type of "remembrance" badge for the German officers who came to Finland for a course in winter/forest fighting. I recall they had one or two courses per year until autumn 1943. I don´t own this but it was sold in the local net auction. Sold for 1,000 euros.

16. RRCOLLECTOR

RRCOLLECTOR Member

This sure looks a lot like a polish fantasy piece to me...screw back and all.

It looks like it says 'Neu Jersey'...am I seeing things?!

17. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Niel Jensey in Helsinki? It looks nice, but without any guarantee I wouldn't invest 1000 euros in it. After all it was private commemoration ceremony so anybody could have made this and we'll probably never know if this is a genuine one.

18. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

It´s actually "veljekset" i.e. "brothers Sundqvist" who were a known family in Helsinki Finland to make medals badges etc. But I agree I would not either put a 1000 euros in this. here´s the course badge for German-Italian-Finnish participation 1942.

WKL=winterkrieg leistungen

19. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Well, that is a sweet one and good quality too! I love the red and gold enamel on the lion crest that contrast with the cold white and the tricolor flags in the edges are good addtions.

20. Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff Semi-Frightening Mountain Goat

Two recent additions to my collection (sorry for the college dorm in the background :p )

View attachment 17415
    World War Two Service Medal, USA

View attachment 17416
    Military Achievement Medal, USA

Neither really rare or expensive, but pieces of history nonetheless! Proud to own them :) Should be getting some more soon (this weekend), will post!

Attached Files: