Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Interbellum Franco-American War Orphan schools Pittsburgh and Lafayette

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by Skipper, May 26, 2013.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Well this is a first !

I picked up a set of medals found in a box at a garage sale today. In it I found about a dozen medals , including 14 for War orphans with dates going from 1926 to 1937, so I suppose these were to finance the Education of WW1 War orphans . Some of the medals a rebillingual and mention schools both in the U.S. and in France (Pittsburgh and Champagne sur Seine). They seem to have been specialized in Horticulture and agriculture. One of the schools wa snamed LAFAYETTE school.
    Quite some research ahead to find who was behind this! For instance did they last until 1940?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Thanks, I read they survived from private funds only until 1926 when the French government accepted to pay for the staff pa yroll. Then they survived until the mid thirties at least. I suppose they became state school after 1940 . I will have to check that. There a couple of old postcards on the internet here and there with buildings , but not much info.