Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Interesting things in HOI 3

Discussion in 'Hearts of Iron' started by Mussolini, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

With the amount of time I've spent playing this game in MP, some certainly interesting things have happened.

Last night, for instance, playing with Mike (France) and Joe (England), I (USA) noticed how tiny my man-power pool is. It certainly limits the USA until Germany DOW's the UK, which is usually triggered by the Polish Event. My ManPower had been hovering around 90 or so, while needing 181 for my Army to fully mobilize. I was gaining 1.7 MP a month.

Joining the Allies, then going to war vs Germany due to the Polish event, doubled my IC from 177 to 450 IC or so....but due to ManPower limitiations (aka my manpower is at 0 as I mobilize) that means spending 300 IC on supplies. Supplies and all resources for me have maxed out at 99999. The good news is that my MP per month went from 1.7 to 35.4 - which means in 6 months (or so) I should be at full strength and able to build more units.

On the other side of the world, Japan conquered China but is probably going to get destroyed by the Russians who have declared Independent War against the Japanese (Communist China somehow joined the Commitern).

At the other end of the spectrum, playing our Axis Orientated game (myself as Italia, Joe as Germany, and Mike as Japan) we've had to modify the save-game file several times to keep the USA and Switzerland out of the Allies (they joined in 1937, which is far too early for the Axis to even have a shot). We've conquered Europe (all but Switzerland) and I have conquered all of Africa and the Mid-East, now sharing a border with Japanese advances around Afghanistan. I quite literally can deploy troops anywhere in the world in a moments notice (land connected through Turkey) which - once my army reorganizes itself - should provide some interesting battles against the numerically superior Russian Forces. We plan on dealing with the Russians, hopefully before getting involved in the USA.

2. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Don't forget the Luxemburg betrail. Luxemburg, an ally at the time retreated into France after having it's sole territory occupied. Shortly after retreating through Metz, they surrendered and became a puppet of Germany. So instantly I had three units (two HQ's and a single Infantry Brigade) behind the lines attacking French Army level HQ's.

3. Mussolini

Ah yes, how could I forget the Luxemborgians! Silly little traitors. I do wonder if you can attack Germany via Switzerland though - I know they gave you Military Access, but I am not sure if that allows you to attack Germany...just offers you a place to retreat to (like the Persians retreating into Afghanistan before we attacked Afghanistan).

4. Anderan

Anderan Member

here's an interesting thing that happened to me one time while playing as Russia, it was about 1941, allies were at war with the Axis, the US was part of the Allies. Out of no where, Mexico joined the Axis. It was devoured by the US, and Honduras, within a week XD

5. Mussolini

Yeah, Mexico is part of the Allies in our Axis game. Another friend of ours hopped in as Romania and tried to invade Mexico...failing miserably since he only sent 3 divisions for some reason.

6. Anderan

Anderan Member

interesting...

7. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Giving military access does not give you the ability to attack from that country into your enemies.

I am currently playing as France and Switzerland has joined the allies and DOW on Germany, with Germany taking much of the West of Switzerland and gain the high hills there I decided to focus the attack from the low countries. Both Belguim and the Netherlands gave me military access on there own accord. This military access does mean you get supplies, in fact it cause supply problems and the only way to fix it is to get your units back into your territory or get the military access country to ally with you. The latter is what I did and I got Belguim and Holland to join the allies. The problem I am having is they have joined the alliance but for some reason have not DOW on Germany and therefore still remain neutral, so I can not attack in to Germany from there, A pity as I have around 300,000 men ready to attack in that area.

The same problem has happened with Germany or the Axis. Germany DOW on Poland, but I am not at war with Japan or Italy even though they are part of the Axis forces.

8. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

The game views the alliances as defensive pacts. If Poland is an Allies when Germany goes to war (usually declares a limited war) Italy and Japan will not be required to join the fight. They should, just a question of when.

On the other side, countries that join an alliance after the alliance is at war (but not a puppet government. They do what you do) will not be at war. You must request that they honor the alliance.

9. Mussolini

I think in all our cases, we have to wait for the Greek Events to fire before the Italians etc join the war. I am actually glad they didn't join the war right away, as my American Forces defending Egypt have only just got to full strength (as have the rest of my forces) and I will shortly be able to start producing Mot/Mech/Armored units (and planes) with my massive amount of IC that I do not use! My Navy will have to be reorganized with the new ships I am producing - only want the fine ships defending the carriers - though the Japanese/Russo War might make having a navy pointless if things go south for Japan. Watching their epic battles makes me look forward to our Axis game and the epic battle once we go to war with Russia!

10. Tomcat

Holland just declared war on Germany and we rushed across germany all the way to Hamburg, where we were stopped. They have now pushed us back to France and I can safety say the war is over, the Germans are just too powerful for the French to hold back, to high IC and to experienced troops and spearhead doctrines.

The only way to win as the French is with a combined effort by human players, with the British support and even the US, overwise I think it will always be a losing situation.

11. Mussolini

Interesting. Due to a difference in tactics, we missed an opportunity to push into Germany while the Germans were still fighting the Poles. I think had we exploited the hole in the German Lines (basically southern Holland and a part of Belgium) we would have been able to push deep into Germany, with the potential of drawing German troops from Poland, effectively creating a 2-front war. By the time I convinced Joe to push through the hole, the Germans had closed it up and had finished Poland off.

The Germans are attacking Metz right now, though have a 2-percent attack rate going. I moved the 1st Army down to Metz to help the French, whose troops have been taking a beating. So far Italians and Japanese are not part of the war. We've already decided that French Indochina will be left unguarded. I've deployed 3 Essex Class Carriers (lvl V, as opposed to lv 2 which the Yorktown is) and am building some upgraded little ships to further strengthen my navy. One of my Carrier Fleets has had some success sinking German Destroyers and TP's in the Baltic Sea. I have now moved the fleet to the sea between Spain and France to help kill some German Subs in the area.

My MP hit its low point (0 MP) as my standing troops mobilized but I have now fully mobilized and should be getting 35 MP a month (as opposed to 1.7 before the war). This will allow me to start building en-masse motorized troops, then some Mechanized Troops, along with SPARTY (self propelled artillery) and Medium or Light Tanks. I'll also be building some Marines, and just received by first Airborne Division. I've got Coastal Defenses on every major Island int he Pacific, major ports on West Coast, and half of the East Coast (for lack of anything else to build while I had 0 MP) and am also building radar installations on a few islands and the West coast. Depending on how Russian War vs Japan goes, this might end up being useless.

Japan vs. Russia is interesting to watch. Japan moved north out of Manchuria and cut off the Eastern portion of Russia along the Pacific coast. They've just about finished mopping the Russians up and this will free those units to move Westwards. In Japanese-owned-China, the Japanese are fighting back a Russian incursion (via Mongolia) and appear to be making some gains themselves.

This has allowed Finland to make gains in Russia, extending south below Leningrad (I think?) though I do not think their army large enough to gain and hold large portions of Russia.

This puts Germany in a tough spot. Joe (UK) and myself have stacks of about 4 divisions in each province extending into Belgium and the last 3 provinces of the Netherlands. The Germans are matching our stacks with their own, but are making no advance (which has allowed me to gain full strength). They are either waiting on Polish troops to move to France Border, or see it as a stalemate. I can only imagine their Russian border is troop-less, though if they were able to attack Russia right now I get the impression they'd reach Moscow with little resistance.

12. Anderan

Anderan Member

I personally think Germany's IC is far to high in this game.

13. edhunter76

edhunter76 Member

Very interesting things happens indeed. Playing as Germany 1.4 I invaded Denmark first and put some garrison units guarding the country. Well, moved my army towards Netherlands and wiped it out. As attacking Belgium, Sweden, Finland and Norway joined the Allies and Sweden started a invasion against Germany via Denmark. Swedish army crushed my garrison units and moved quickly into Germany. That was quite funny and truly unexpected. Basically I like playing ahistorical games so that doesn't bother me so much.

The AI annoys me the most. The idea of putting the AI responsible of planning and executing attacks is great, but it just don't work. HQ's in any level sends divisions in very strange places even I give them specific targets and orders. It seems that the AI can't execute simple attack moves without goofing around someway. Sometimes things might work out pretty well, but usually they don't. Furthermore, it seems to me that the AI can't use attached air units properly. If I attach for example CAS units to army HQ, the air units get ordered far away from the front where I would need them. Some units executes air missions and some units don't. And I don't understand why the hell there must be stacking penalty for air units also????????

And answering to my own moaning. I have really big hopes for Semper Fi as there should be manual theatre definition. I really hope that it fixes the strange unit movements and keeps them within given area.

14. Mussolini

Air-unit stacking was a major issue in HOI2. Its not very feasible, for starters, as it made things rather rather unrealistic by stacking 20 planes together in a super-stack that would just destroy land and air units it encountered.

15. edhunter76

edhunter76 Member

Yes, now that you said that I remember that was a problem in HOI2, well not to me because I didn't give much attention on air war in HOI2.

16. SOAR21

SOAR21 Member

So I have been playing a side campaign as Japan. I did the normal buildup against China, but I started the actual invasion a little bit later, just a few months into 1938. I made good progress at first, but I think I was too slow, and soon China began cutting off my incursions, so it bogged down. By sheer combat power I have pushed China back, and the addition of another Army helped as well. It took me until late 1940 to subdue China. All very normal, right? But, I never joined the Axis. The Germans were constantly asking me to join, but I kept declining, while the Allies diligently influenced me. Soon I realized the requests had stopped, but I don't know exactly when. Then, I checked the diplomacy tab triangle (I had forgotten to check the triangle for months due to the iffy situation in China). I was on the very left leg of the triangle. My alignment was 64 from the Allies, and a lot from the Comintern. But I was farthest of all from the Axis. The Soviets were influencing me as well, so I didn't move either closer or farther to the Allies. I think that if the Allies keep influencing Japan, and Japan doesn't join the Axis, an Allied Japan by 1939 or 1940 at the very latest is a very real possibility. Just something to keep in mind the next time anyone decides to start a multiplayer Allied game. The idea of 4 of the world's greatest powers allied together is decidedly unhistorical, but makes for very interesting possibilities.

17. Anderan

Anderan Member

In a Soviet game I have going, Germany attacked Poland in May 1939, and the allies seemed content to ignore it.

18. Tomcat

Germany invaded Hungary March 1938, starting ww2. hehe, I love the randomness of this game.

19. edhunter76

edhunter76 Member

Actually, playing as Germany I always invade Hungary first. Most of the times it really starts the whole war.

20. Tomcat

I have found that it is not the most efficient way to fight the war.

You see if you invade Hungary and the world DOW on you, then you are pretty much fighting a three front war at the start against Poland, Denmark and the low countries and France.

Now Denmark doesn't need much, a three division strong Corp of infantry is usually enough, but Poland due to the large front needs far more especially if you invade Czechoslovakia first and widen the front.

Although the low countries do not need much troops either, they will ally with France who will move troops into Belgium along all the rivers there and can cause problems, once through there though it is usually free sailing onto Paris.

Overall, I think attacking any one but either Poland of France first causes a much longer and potenially worse starting war then if you do.

Still it is fun to do it differently, now I am going to invade Romania and Bulgaria.