Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Is Alan Turing's effort code-breaking effort to the war exaggerated?

Discussion in 'Codes, Cyphers & Spies' started by DerGiLLster, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Tamino

Tamino Doc - The Deplorable

That correction wasn't necessary.

2. LJAd

LJAd Well-Known Member

Hitler's military decisions were mostly right and in most cases his generals agreed with him, although they denied this after the war .

3. steverodgers801

steverodgers801 Member

my point exactly, Hitler was more right then you are

Skipper likes this.
  4. Takao

Takao Ace

Twice a day, just like a broken clock.

Skipper likes this.
  5. steverodgers801

steverodgers801 Member

except when the hour arm is missing

6. Uplink

Uplink New Member

I suppose it seems clever to some people to do the counterintuitive approach to hitler and make some asinine points about him being responsible for resurrecting Germany, ending the unemployment, arming the country, building the Autobahn. And I'm sure his legacy would be even more respected if he didn't have to poison his bride and shot himself when the territory he commanded has shrunk to four square blocks and everyone was dead. What a bummer.

7. belasar

belasar Court Jester Staff Member

Too much of the last two pages has been little more than finger pointing and counter claims of 'your wrong, no your wrong more' without substantive debate on the topic of the thread. This is a sure sign we have run out of actual facts to talk about. I'll give it a few more posts to see if we can salvage this topic, otherwise it's off to bed without it's supper.*

* This my rolled up paper voice

RichTO90 likes this.
  8. Tamino

Tamino Doc - The Deplorable

You’re right. This tread seems to be derailed for a while by unnecessary rivalry. Turing was a genius, I have no doubts about significance of his contribution to code breaking of intercepts. Turings' contribution is impossible to exaggerate.
    However, there were also other remarkable individuals in Bletchley park. Gordon Welchman, for example, who established traffic analysis. He also proposed techniques crucial to speed-up deciphering dramatically by identifying recurring messages and common phrases.

Welchnans' achievements are of such importance that most of his work is still classified.

Indeed there were few exceptional individuals, but what makes Station X extraordinary are almost 10.000 not so talented, yet diligent individuals who have 'enabled'* a large-scale, sometimes real time deciphering.
    Contribution of Tillo Schmidt shouldn’t be forgotten too. He was a kind of genius too.

----------------------------
    (*) I've borrowed this word from OpanaPointer - Thanks buddy!

PS:

It is rather late here and I will go to bed - this theme is ripe enough to be laid into bed too.