Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Is Hirohito's non-invovlement the same as the Clean Wehrmacht Myth

Discussion in 'Concentration, Death Camps and Crimes Against Huma' started by Herr Marshal 1945, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Herr Marshal 1945

Herr Marshal 1945 New Member

As I grew up in Asia and watch multiple documentaries I was able to gather info, so my question is if the clean wehrmacht is a myth why do people not acknowledge that hirohito, emperor showa, was INVOLVED with his military and did not stop japan's war atrocities. i heavily believe that the emperor was not a mere puppet, in asia, places like china and korea, the japanese abuses are seen. also in 1936 the imperial army launched a coup but hirohito was able to successfully put it down; for someone who had no control over his army in events like nanking and pearl harbour, he seems to have a strong foot in this incident

i actually wrote this because of youtube video which got me peeved, no offense but abuse by japan is still felt in asian countries, my late grand aunt told me a lot of sad ones;

2. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Lots of evidence tying him to the aggression of Japan in WWII, and in my opinion he's just as complicit as anyone else in the leadership of that regime, certainly more culpable than most.

3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I've seen evidence both ways. There will not be a clean answer to this. Pick your side and start shooting.

4. lwd

lwd Ace

I forget the title of the book but it was dealing with some of the atrocities committed by the Japanese late in the war. Part of the background chapters went into prewar history a bit. One of the things I remember reading was that the IJA had a significant role in Hirohito's education and upbringing. That he had the courage to push for an end to the war when and how he did undoubtedly buys him some leeway. Mac finding it useful not to prosecute him or damage his reputation certainly played (or plays) a role as well.

5. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Hirohito was the sole person who could prevent the troops from refusing to accept a surrender. When "the Voice of the Crane" said "...the war has gone not necessarily in Japan's favor" the people knew what he meant. The Prime Minister and other cabinet members, as well as military members, who were in favor of surrender were hunted by rebels. General Mori (?) had his head nearly cut off. The Gaimudaijin hid in the Foreign Ministry cellars. The Prime Minister fled his house and hid out in his sister's closet. It would have been a lot worse if Hirohito hadn't made it official. (There were rebel officers killing themselves in the woods around the Imperial palace for days after.)

In short, he was useful. And a damn fine ichthyologist as well.

6. the_diego

the_diego Active Member

There's a more basic accountability than complicity to atrocities: the business conglomerates that pressured the government into and expansionary policy, and bankrolled much of the arming. Well, Clancy seemed to have a solution to that in his book "Debt of Honor."